1/3: BTN straddles; It folds to me in CO with J9s

EnnodEnnod Red Chipper Posts: 6 ✭✭
1/3 Live 5-Handed (No Rake, Time Charge)

Effective stack is $300.

Villian is BTN and he straddles to $6. He seems loose so I expect him to defend his BTN straddle wide.

In an unraised multiway pot, he three-barreled OOP and lost when he got called down by 66 on a 9h 7d 5h Js 3d runout lol. His bets were not that big. Like half pot flop (just got the 1 caller), half pot turn, and then quarter pot on the river. He didn't show his hand.

But he seems passive otherwise. For example, in an unraised hand with 7 players, he just called down AQ with J8 even though he flopped two pair on the flop. The runout was Ah Jh 8c 3d 9s. The AQ player bet $20 (pot) on flop. Everyone else folded. Then, he bet $60 (pot) and $100 (55% pot). I’m guessing the big turn and river bets made the Villian think could be up against a bigger two pair.

And he has not shown any aggression vs preflop raisers. He folds flop. Or calls flop and folds turn.

The blinds fold and HJ folds.

I’m in the CO with Jc 9c.

I think this is a fold. Effective stack is only 50bb and J9s is not great heads up with the shortish stack size. Plus, I don't have a lot of fold equity preflop and he has position.

However, if he is defending his straddle wide, I could c-bet many flops and he won't be able to call many of them because his defend range is wide. He seems passive but even passive players will fold if they miss the flop completely.

What do you think I should do?

Comments

• CASEY MCASEY M Red Chipper Posts: 136 ✭✭
    5 handed I think you can get away with a 4x pfr here and cbet most flops against this player type. Id be concerned about the blinds and their play style though.

If the blinds have similar reads you can get squeezed.

In general, Im just folding here due to the stack size. I tend not to play straddled pots with less than 100blinds unless I have a premium hand.
  • EnnodEnnod Red Chipper Posts: 6 ✭✭
    @CASEY M It's a BTN straddle so SB is first to act on every street including preflop.

Everyone has folded to me on the CO so the only people left in the hand is me and the BTN.
  • CASEY MCASEY M Red Chipper Posts: 136 ✭✭
    Oh damn... thanks for the correction.
    I still feel it’s marginal. 50bb with a hand that can be tricky to play.

We need a plan for what we’re stacking off with by the turn as SPR won’t allow much postflop maneuverability
  • EnnodEnnod Red Chipper Posts: 6 ✭✭
    Also, here's another argument for open raising. There is already $10 in the pot and we're heads up preflop.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file