ZOOM tips: 0,25/0,50 population exploits from my own experience

thewolfmanthewolfman Red Chipper Posts: 24 ✭✭
Hi Guys,

I have taken so much from this community, time to give something back!

Below you will find concrete exploits I have implemented in my game at 0,25/0,50 cash game ZOOM on Pokerstars. Now these are not deeply thought through mathematically substantiated nuances to poker strategy. These are just simple population reads I have found that work great at the 0.25/0.50 ZOOM stakes I play. So please be advised, I am in no way a poker pro and I often times do not even know why these exploits work.

1: use the call any button
Yup, I have actually found a use for the call any button. Somehow I have noticed that opponents always put me on draws when I quickly call a bet. And as a result, I don't know how to describe it any better, they sometimes 'panic' on the turn and just blast off all their chips in the pot the make sure I fold my draw (plus, if someone flops the nuts why would that guy use the call any button - right?). As a result, I have been experiencing great results when I use the call any button (or just call instantly) when I flopped a monster against a 3-better. For example, you call a 3-bet OOP with KsQs and you flop the nut flush. Calling the C-bet from the original raiser instantly has given me great results when the turn comes a non-spade for example. The same goes for succesfull set mining (where if I wait long with a call, people tend to play slower, while if I instantly call my set, they blast off). Now you could argue that it's not a difficult spot to make a ton of money, true, but the trick is that they also spew their money in with bluffs. And that happens quite often.

2: minraise the flop when you have a reasonable hand or draw, and want to get to the river without bloating the pot
For example: you call with AQo OOP a 3-bet from the blinds. The flop comes A98. The 3-bettor barrels 80%. Now there's a good chance that you have the best hand, but I've seen numerous players 3-barreling on the A with KK, QQ or w/e hand, for the heck of it. And calling 3 barrels always gives me a headache, especially if the board runout is f.e. A98KQ. So I noticed that a lot of players get scared when someone minraises their cbet on the flop (afraid to get stacked by sets probably), especially if the villain is OOP. Minraising the AQ will most likely give you a cheap turn, and river. Also it saved me a lot of headaches. This also works great if you are drawing f.e. since now you can draw relatively cheaply.

3: 3-bet small blind open raises like hell
I guess if someone was using a HUD on me, he would probably start 4-betting me like crazy since I have such a wide 3-betting range on the BB. But it's like printing money. They usually fold, they sometimes call and then usually fold on further aggression, and if they have a good hand they usually either 4-bet preflop, or checkraise on the flop. Again this has given me great results so far.

4: check-raise on J high boards and with backdoor combo draws
Check-raising more often has improved my win rate dramatically. Both by check-raising good hands (as there are a lot of calling stations) but also check raising in specific spots like J72 type boards (with bluffs) or with backdoor combo draws like As3s on a 2s4h8d board. These tips actually came from one of the podcasts episodes and works fantastically on this stake level. Example: check-raising KhQd on a J45 board with two hearts from the BB, after calling an open raise from the CO.

Now again, the above plays are exploits I noticed. Maybe you find them straightforward, maybe you find them rubbish, but for me they were eye opening. I have literally sat there and thought "This move can't possibly work again, right?" and yet it keeps working with great frequency. I often times do not even know why they work :). If this helps anybody to win a pot one day, that would be awesome.

Cheers.

Comments

• Joseph FJoseph F Red Chipper Posts: 770 ✭✭✭
    Just saw this and am going to read through it all right now. I'm putting in tons of 10nlz volume right now, two tabling.
  • thewolfmanthewolfman Red Chipper Posts: 24 ✭✭
    Cool! I play 4 tables 0,25/0,50 regularly. Would love to hear your thoughts.
    edited April 9
    As said: I'll definitely get back to this and/or PM you. I'd also love *your* thoughts coming from a 4x/50nlz perspective.

*One thing off the bat: Most 10nlz players, even the "regs" in my pool, are terrible in the blinds. You can just attack from CO/BTN relentlessly.
    10nlz range targeting:

Remember: These whales are "tight". They have tight ranges preflop, don't stack off with less than two pair on the flop, etc. So, we know that when they *do* hit the board it's going to be with hands they are never going to fold.

Hand History driven straight to this forum with DriveHUD Poker HUD and Database Software - http://drivehud.com

NL Holdem $0.1(BB)
    CO ($33.49) [VPIP: 11.4% | PFR: 8.2% | AGG: 22.1% | 3-Bet: 2.8% | Hands: 2124]
    HERO ($23.01) [VPIP: 24.8% | PFR: 15.9% | AGG: 27.1% | 3-Bet: 4.6% | Hands: 15080]
    SB ($8.37) [VPIP: 31% | PFR: 4.8% | AGG: 50% | 3-Bet: 0% | Hands: 42]
    BB ($8.86) [VPIP: 24.1% | PFR: 5.7% | AGG: 8% | 3-Bet: 0% | Hands: 87]

Dealt to Hero: 7c 7d

CO Folds, HERO Raises To $0.35, SB Calls $0.30, BB Folds

Hero SPR on Flop: [10.03 effective]
    Flop ($0.80): 7s Tc 9d
    SB Bets $0.38 (Rem. Stack: 7.64), HERO Raises To $22.66 (allin), SB Calls $7.64 (allin)

Turn ($31.48): 7s Tc 9d Jh

River ($31.48): 7s Tc 9d Jh Ac

SB shows: 9s Kd

HERO wins: $15.91

Hand History driven straight to this forum with DriveHUD Poker HUD and Database Software - http://drivehud.com

NL Holdem $0.1(BB)
    SB ($36) [VPIP: 11.4% | PFR: 8.2% | AGG: 22.1% | 3-Bet: 2.8% | Hands: 2124]
    BB ($16.32) [VPIP: 21.3% | PFR: 10.2% | AGG: 17.1% | 3-Bet: 3.7% | Hands: 108]
    CO ($2.45) [VPIP: 15.2% | PFR: 0% | AGG: 20% | 3-Bet: 0% | Hands: 46]
    HERO ($10.49) [VPIP: 24.8% | PFR: 15.9% | AGG: 27.1% | 3-Bet: 4.6% | Hands: 15080]

Dealt to Hero: Jh Jc

CO Folds, HERO Raises To $0.35, SB Raises To $1.15, BB Calls $1.05, HERO Calls $0.80

Hero SPR on Flop: [2.71 effective]
    Flop ($3.45): Ac Qd Jd
    SB Bets $2.44 (Rem. Stack: 32.41), BB Calls $2.44 (Rem. Stack: 12.73), HERO Raises To $9.34 (allin), SB Folds, BB Calls $6.90 (Rem. Stack: 5.83)

Turn ($24.57): Ac Qd Jd 3h

River ($24.57): Ac Qd Jd 3h 2h

BB shows: Qs As

HERO wins: $23.21

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file