Need help with straddled multi-way 3-bet pot that I butchered

osirus0830osirus0830 Red Chipper Posts: 46 ✭✭
I'll start by saying, after reflecting I realize that I misplayed every decision of this hand, but I believe that I finally had an aha moment related to how to think about poker.

Venue: Majestic Star
Stakes: 1/2 NLHE
Effective Stack $300
Hero stack: $310
UTG Stack: $700
UTG +2 Stack: $815
Button Stack: $300

There is a button straddle on for $10. BB raises to $25. UTG + 2 Calls, hero in the cutoff flats with :9S: :9C: . Button 3-bets to $75. All other players call. Hero calls.

Flop: :7S: :6S: :3C:

UTG checks, UTG + 2 checks, hero checks, button shoves for $225.

UTG folds, UTG + 2 call.

Spoiler alert:

Hero folds.

Once I sat back and thought about this, it clicked for me that the SPR was such that villain on the button should be shoving his entire squeezing range. I made a huge error by expecting him to check back all ace highs. Flopping an overpair in a < 1 SPR pot is an auto stack off regardless of if it is heads up or multi-way, otherwise I should have folded preflop.

Questions:

Since the SPR was going to be less than one when the button squeezes, should this be a fold to the three bet?

In a $10 straddle pot, making the effective stack essentially 30 BB, is pocket nines too weak to even call the initial $25 open?

If I'm in that spot and decide to call with the 99s, once villain squeezes, should I essentially shove or fold?

Comments

• RedRed Red Chipper Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭✭
    osirus0830 wrote: »
    Questions:

Since the SPR was going to be less than one when the button squeezes, should this be a fold to the three bet?

In a $10 straddle pot, making the effective stack essentially 30 BB, is pocket nines too weak to even call the initial $25 open?

If I'm in that spot and decide to call with the 99s, once villain squeezes, should I essentially shove or fold?
    What is positive is that you've already pointed out the issue with such a big straddle. These are the right question to ask yourself... BEFORE playing the hand. And after, off table, to improve your game.
    So you're on the right track.

Now... it's also your duty, your homeworks, to give an answer. Esp. you need to look for:
    - If you flat preflop, BU either fold or call, and see a flop MW, what do you do the 89% of time you don't flop your set ? Do you fold always ? If yes, is it worth it to call 25$ preflop to fold on the flop ?
    - If you flat preflop, is BU squeezing often or rarely ? What range do you expect him to raise with ?
    - If you call and BU squeezes, is a shove +EV (considering the risk you take, your equity when called and the % of time he folds). You can use the RCP FE calculator: https://redchippoker.com/fold-equity-calculator/
    - Can you maybe squeeze yourself ? If you do, do you expect enough folds ? If not, do they call you wide enough for 99 to be a good hand to squeeze ?

So as you see, you've some open questions, which mostly go around: how often do they fold ? Has 99 enough equity (against their range when they give action).

My play:
    Except if BU is flatting often AND we can expect to stack 2 villains when we hit our sets, I think I rather not even call the first 10$. Otherwise, BU has a great position to squeeze IP and BB is still uncapped with a (normally because EP) strong range; so too much possible heat for our too vulnerable hand. Maybe I'll give action only with TT+/AJs/AQ+ ... but then I'm squeezing myself too ;)
  • osirus0830osirus0830 Red Chipper Posts: 46 ✭✭
    Thanks for the feedback. You gave me really good advice. I appreciate it. I'm going to do more off table work related to straddled pots so that I can answer the questions that you posed. Thanks again for your feedback and help.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file