Good bluff spot? Good exploitative play?

LagtardLagtard Red Chipper Posts: 93 ✭✭
I don't want to assume it was good just because it worked. I'm new to analyzing my play which is why I been "hand dumping" and apparently I'm doing it in a way to not get much feedback so I am going to explain my thinking more on this one.

In the BB, it's folded to the SB I called the raise because I was getting a good price and had a suited hand. From what I have found in my studies is suited hands tend to overrealize their equity.

I had noted villain had recently double barreled with air from the button. Very aggressive player even though his range didn't seem Laggy. When he showed down he usually had "good" preflop hands (unlike me in this hand).

I whiffed the flop but know this villain will at least double barrel. Board is very draw heavy and hits my range just as well as his but I am thinking his range is more capped as the PreF raiser from the small blind considering his HUD stats. He could be wide here too but from the few showdowns I saw for him they were usually Ax, big pairs, and broadways. On the flop I am giving him credit for maybe TPTK. Since the flop hits my range so well I decided that unless he gave me good reason not to I am going to bluff if the board runs out with the lower cards to the straight (8,9) or D flush.

Turn gives me a flush draw so now I have equity. I didn't raise the turn to give him the opportunity to fire again if the spade hits the river. If the D comes and he doesn't fire big I am going to jam. I look like I could be calling down a weak flush or straight draw.

Hand History driven straight to this forum with DriveHUD Poker HUD and Database Software

NL Holdem $0.25(BB)
SB ($25) [VPIP: 22.7% | PFR: 18.5% | AGG: 62.5% | 3-Bet: 7.3% | Hands: 122]
HERO ($25) [VPIP: 29.3% | PFR: 17.9% | AGG: 36% | 3-Bet: 8.5% | Hands: 4883]
UTG ($14.26) [VPIP: 0% | PFR: 0% | AGG: 0% | 3-Bet: 0% | Hands: 1]
HJ ($32.98) [VPIP: 22.2% | PFR: 17.5% | AGG: 53.3% | 3-Bet: 3.7% | Hands: 65]
CO ($25.64) [VPIP: 21.2% | PFR: 17.3% | AGG: 28.6% | 3-Bet: 0% | Hands: 55]
BTN ($31.26) [VPIP: 15.6% | PFR: 6.3% | AGG: 0% | 3-Bet: 0% | Hands: 33]

Dealt to Hero: :6S: :JS:
UTG Folds, HJ Folds, CO Folds, BTN Folds, SB Raises To $0.62, HERO Calls $0.37

Hero SPR on Flop: [19.66 effective]
Flop ($1.24): :QS: :TD: :7D:
SB Bets $0.59 (Rem. Stack: 23.79), HERO Calls $0.59 (Rem. Stack: 23.79)

Turn ($2.42): :QS: :TD: :7D: :9S:
SB Bets $1.72 (Rem. Stack: 22.07), HERO Calls $1.72 (Rem. Stack: 22.07)

River ($5.86): :QS: :TD: :7D: :9S: :5D:
SB Bets $4.17 (Rem. Stack: 17.90), HERO Raises To $22.07 (allin), SB Folds

HERO wins: $13.49

Comments

• RedRed Red Chipper Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭✭
    It's fun to see that your nickname is "lagtard" but still you play this hand way too passively / station.
  • Jordan PowerJordan Power Red Chipper Posts: 393 ✭✭✭
    The turn gave you an OESD as well as a flush draw, pretty important thing to note. If you were going to airball bluff the river, why not raise turn?
  • LagtardLagtard Red Chipper Posts: 93 ✭✭
    edited April 11
    Red wrote: »
    It's fun to see that your nickname is "lagtard" but still you play this hand way too passively / station.

Well I am trying to get better at poker so my plays may not be great every time. Thanks for the comment. Delving deeper in the next comment.
    The turn gave you an OESD as well as a flush draw, pretty important thing to note. If you were going to airball bluff the river, why not raise turn?

My thinking was with the flush and OESD I didn’t want to raise and have him fold. I thought I could get more chips letting him fire another street.
    Why would it be bad for V to fold if you raise the turn?
    Why would it be bad for V to fold if you raise the turn?

Makes sense. I make a better hand fold then my opponent makes a mistake.
    That's part of it but there's more. What's our equity in the hand? How often are we going to have the best hand on the river when we hit one of our draws? How often are we going to have second best and lose anyway? How often is V going to pay us when we make it? How often is V likely to fold?

There's a ton of questions that go into whether raising/folding/calling on the turn.

And for what it's worth, I probably would have just walked away from this hand preflop, or 3 bet it as a bluff. But I'm not used to playing online, so maybe others can comment there. Live, this would have been chopped haha
    And for what it's worth, I probably would have just walked away from this hand preflop, or 3 bet it as a bluff.

I been reading about calling marginal hands when we are priced in on the BB. Especially SB vs BB because SB will be opening wide. In this case though Villain hasn’t shown down a marginal hand butI assume he is capable.

I think it was an Upswing article. When selecting these hands suited hands work good because they tend to over realize their equity.
    How often are we going to have the best hand on the river when we hit one of our draws? How often are we going to have second best and lose anyway? How often is V going to pay us when we make it? How often is V likely to fold?
    I mentioned it above. I had notes on villain double barreling air earlier so with all the draws I have a chance to river the best hand. If I make my hand I want him to triple barrel. If I don’t I know villain is capable of having air in his range giving me fold equity.

That was my thinking.

• thewolfmanthewolfman Red Chipper Posts: 24 ✭✭
    I like it overall. Thanks for sharing the hand, lot of ways to look at it if you ask me. I would've also 3-bet instead of called preflop. If not, I would've raised the turn. And if I followed your line, I would've also pushed the river. For me this just looks like a typical hand that can be won through aggression because the BB is not playing his cards right. Playing the player

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file