AA in the Big Blind

NTD12NTD12 Red Chipper Posts: 22 ✭✭
edited April 12 in Live Poker Hands
1/2 NL. Table had just started about 15 minutes ago. Effective stack size in the hand is about $300. Me and one other.

EP opens for $6. 2 callers. Button 3 bets to $20. SB folds. I have :Ad :Ah in the BB. I 4 bet to $50. Folds to the button who seems to reluctantly call.

Flop is :Qs :4s :Th . I lead out for $100. Button thinks for a minute and then calls. Live read is he doesn't want to call but does.

Turn is :Kc . I put the rest in and he calls.

River is :Js

Thoughts?

Answers

• osirus0830osirus0830 Red Chipper Posts: 46 ✭✭
    I think that I would check the flop and evaluate turns and rivers. How you play this hand really depends on how likely it is villain can show up with QTs here. Most players would 3 bet and cold call a four bet with at least queens. From a button 3 better I could see his range being TT+ (Less aces), AK. Based on that range, villain has 6 combos of sets while you have at most 3. I don't like betting flop here. I would check call flop. Once the king comes I would consider releasing. In all likelihood based on the ranges and run out, you likely sucked out.
  • NTD12NTD12 Red Chipper Posts: 22 ✭✭
  • TheGameKatTheGameKat Posts: 1,923 -
    I'd 4-bet larger pre. Most 1/2 players don't have a 3b-fold range.
    Moderation In Moderation
    Thank you. What exactly would that accomplish? I might still be in the same situation post flop?
  • TheGameKatTheGameKat Posts: 1,923 -
    NTD12 wrote: »
    Thank you. What exactly would that accomplish? I might still be in the same situation post flop?

You might be, but the SPR would be lower making the commitment decision trivial. Additionally, with a 4-bet to around $75 you: 1) give the illusion that a 5-bet jam has fold equity -something you'd love to induce; 2) make the odds even worse for anyone foolish enough calling to set mine; 3) increase the size of the pot when holding the nuts. Plus I'm not sure how many bb AA is worth when played out of the SB, but I'm pretty sure it's less than the pot you'd pick up if everyone folds pre.
    Moderation In Moderation
    edited April 14
    Thank you very much...every thing you said makes sense to me.

And looking back maybe the $75 would have been a good bet.

V rolled over :As :6s for the nuts....

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file