Outrageous stats, but nice hourly

thewolfmanthewolfman Red Chipper Posts: 24 ✭✭
Hi, so I do a lot of experimenting at the tables based on stuff I read online and learn from you guys at red chip. Now, the stuff on 'exploiting' is gold, it seems. Because I have just finished a cash game session where my strategy was 'regardless of your holding, you play your opponents tendencies based on their HUD stats'.

Now this was at low stakes ZOOM, it's weekend so I guess there's a lot of recs. The results are excellent, I have a win rate of 75+BB/100 hands in 1k hands. This is, for me, huge.

Now the funny thing is that my stats are absolutely outrageous:

Agression Factor of 9
VPIP 48 - PR 42 - 3Bet 30 - Foldto3bet 20 - Cbet 74 - Float 100 - CbetTurn 100

Oh and I basically avoided the regs in mediocre spots.

So evaluating this session and this "strategy experiment" got me thinking, how should I look at this? I mean based on these stats I should get exploited by the regs obviously, but as said I can just 'get out of there way' if the spot is not perfect and there are so many recs. Also, the sample size is not huge. Is this something I should continue doing and develop? Or move back a bit to the 'standard' opening ranges, since in the long run this may not be a winning strategy.

Best Answer

Answers

• thewolfmanthewolfman Red Chipper Posts: 24 ✭✭
    I gave this strategy a name:
    "Excessive Abuse of the Nescient"
  • NYCRyNYCRy Red Chipper Posts: 336 ✭✭✭
    Excellent. I think experimentation is key. I need to do more of it. Interested to see what comes of this
  • RedRed Red Chipper Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭✭
    How do you know someone is a reg if you play Zoom ? (As you said you avoid regs in meh spots) I thought it was not possible to get HUD stats since you change table every hands
    Red wrote: »
    How do you know someone is a reg if you play Zoom ? (As you said you avoid regs in meh spots) I thought it was not possible to get HUD stats since you change table every hands

No, you just build up a database as usual. Got a lot of regs that I have a couple of thousand hands on. I use poker tracker 4.
    But how do you make the difference between a "reg" or a "rec". Just how many hands you've on them ?
    If a recreational player plays a lot, he is still a rec, not a reg. Nevertheless you would have many hands on him.

So... this definition you give is unsatisfactory to me: there is a qualitative (knowledge of the game) difference between a rec and a reg.
    Red wrote: »
    But how do you make the difference between a "reg" or a "rec". Just how many hands you've on them ?
    If a recreational player plays a lot, he is still a rec, not a reg. Nevertheless you would have many hands on him.

So... this definition you give is unsatisfactory to me: there is a qualitative (knowledge of the game) difference between a rec and a reg.

You are right, I have been using the terms a little loose. Let me elaborate. What I do is first check the amount of hands I have on them (to establish the fact that they play regularly, just like me). Then I check their stats. If the stats are reasonable, nothing out of bounds, then I assume they play solid poker. Not necessarily exploitative, but solid. Then I check their winrate of the hand sample, and if that is also 'in the green', I give them the stamp 'reg'. But indeed, that may not be the correct definition.
    Now you're giving some interesting answer (classification reg/rec) :)
    Thx

Also, you didn't mention which stakes (blinds) you're playing at ?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file