Correct to Trap with Aces?

gl523gl523 Red Chipper Posts: 101 ✭✭
$.02/.04 Online 4 Players
Effective Stack Size: $3.50

Hero is in CO with :AH: :AC: .
Hero raises to $.12. BU calls. SB calls.

Pot: $.40
Flop: :2S: :2H: :QC:
SB checks. Hero checks. BU bets $.40. SB folds. Hero calls.

Pot: $1.20
Turn: :TC:
Hero checks. BU checks.

Pot: $1.20
River: :9D:
Hero checks. BU bets $1.20. Hero calls.
BU shows :QH: :TD: .

I checked the flop since I noticed that Villain folded pretty frequently after calling preflop raises and I thought that a cbet into a 3 way pot came off a little too strong plus the fact that there aren't really any turn cards that would scare me off. Otherwise, this is a clear cbet situation for me. I didn't check raise for the same reason thinking that if I call, Villain could fire again on later streets. On the turn, I planned to check-raise but that didn't work surprisingly. On the river, I feared a straight so I only check called. I regretted the river check call in hindsight; it was due to poor handreading skills on the spot and I should have check raise shoved or bet myself. On the flop, should I have cbet (despite the high fold frequency), check called (to induce more bets in future streets) or check raised (to get value immediately)?
Tagged:

Answers

• TheGameKatTheGameKat Posts: 2,500 -
    edited April 15
    What sort of postflop mistakes do players in this player pool make? If you can answer that, you can probably answer all questions relating to your postflop line.
    Moderation In Moderation
  • gl523gl523 Red Chipper Posts: 101 ✭✭
    TheGameKat wrote: »
    What sort of postflop mistakes do players in this player pool make? If you can answer that, you can probably answer all questions relating to your postflop line.

What kind of postflop mistakes are there?
  • RedRed Red Chipper Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭✭
    @gl523
    I think checking flop is fine. Flop is pretty dry, no draw available, so:
    - Hard to rep a draw.
    - When you bet you're targeting mostly PP and QX. But since you hold AA (and not KK), you block AQ, which is the main holding able to endure 3 streets of value.

If you want to bet, you have to underbet, maybe 1/4 of the pot - a low price for a merged range.

river play is but questionable - at least opens some alternative...

First: note that nobody has a straight here.
    Only KJ and J9 allows it, and I don't think these holding are here. This also means having a blocker (like QJ or JT) isn't relevant for the blocker itself. (*)

Second: Since you called OOP, you HAVE to have something. Either have a meh QX (a good one - AQ/KQ - would have c-bet often I guess) or a PP. So you should have here either: a bad PP, a set (TT, 99) or an improved 2P (QT, and ev. Q9).

Third And V has something, mostly QX, to stab flop.

Question 1: after V check turn, why not firing yourself river ?
    I think you can overbet with your whole range here, putting V in a thought situation, wondering if you have only QX or a better 2P or a set... or JJ/88.

Question 2: if you think V will stab often enough and check: why not raise ?
    Yes, raising on a pot size bet show a lot of strength. But again, there should be no straights AND V will surely be unable to fold his improved 2P (QT, Q9), which you beat with AA. The only bad thing by raising is AA blocks AQ - and I think we could see Villain maybe call with AQ; even if it's once in a while, it's always good for us; so maybe I'd rather raise with KK and call with AA.
    (But if V will bet/fold regularly improved 2P QT/Q9, then a raise is not a good idea as you will find many fold, but lose to the rare TT and 99 V has. On the other hand, if V is folding that often, you have to raise your meh PP very often and steal the pot too often than you should.)

Personally, I think I like to donk-overbet with AA and check/raise with KK.

(*) We could but make a case for KJ since it strongly blocks TP and could be a nice hands to bluff with on flop, and turn check/check then makes KJ with the nuts. But I don't expect a Villain to be that smart at 0.02/0.04.
    This combos would be also one of the only Hero could fire as bluff, with AK - for the same reason. But as check/call.
  • gl523gl523 Red Chipper Posts: 101 ✭✭
    Red wrote: »
    @gl523
    I think checking flop is fine. Flop is pretty dry, no draw available, so:
    - Hard to rep a draw.
    - When you bet you're targeting mostly PP and QX. But since you hold AA (and not KK), you block AQ, which is the main holding able to endure 3 streets of value.

If you want to bet, you have to underbet, maybe 1/4 of the pot - a low price for a merged range.

river play is but questionable - at least opens some alternative...

First: note that nobody has a straight here.
    Only KJ and J9 allows it, and I don't think these holding are here. This also means having a blocker (like QJ or JT) isn't relevant for the blocker itself. (*)

Second: Since you called OOP, you HAVE to have something. Either have a meh QX (a good one - AQ/KQ - would have c-bet often I guess) or a PP. So you should have here either: a bad PP, a set (TT, 99) or an improved 2P (QT, and ev. Q9).

Third And V has something, mostly QX, to stab flop.

Question 1: after V check turn, why not firing yourself river ?
    I think you can overbet with your whole range here, putting V in a thought situation, wondering if you have only QX or a better 2P or a set... or JJ/88.

Question 2: if you think V will stab often enough and check: why not raise ?
    Yes, raising on a pot size bet show a lot of strength. But again, there should be no straights AND V will surely be unable to fold his improved 2P (QT, Q9), which you beat with AA. The only bad thing by raising is AA blocks AQ - and I think we could see Villain maybe call with AQ; even if it's once in a while, it's always good for us; so maybe I'd rather raise with KK and call with AA.
    (But if V will bet/fold regularly improved 2P QT/Q9, then a raise is not a good idea as you will find many fold, but lose to the rare TT and 99 V has. On the other hand, if V is folding that often, you have to raise your meh PP very often and steal the pot too often than you should.)

Personally, I think I like to donk-overbet with AA and check/raise with KK.

(*) We could but make a case for KJ since it strongly blocks TP and could be a nice hands to bluff with on flop, and turn check/check then makes KJ with the nuts. But I don't expect a Villain to be that smart at 0.02/0.04.
    This combos would be also one of the only Hero could fire as bluff, with AK - for the same reason. But as check/call.

Why an underbet on the flop? When should underbets be used?

Why an over-bet on the river? I thought that overbets were meant for polarizing. Why can we do this with all our range?

I don’t think Villain is the type to stab with a backdoor straight draw so straights are our. If I had known this during the hand, I would have shoved on the river.

Why do you like a donk overbet with AA and a check raise with KK? What is it about the two hands that makes you want to take one line with AA and a different line with KK?
  • RedRed Red Chipper Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭✭
    gl523 wrote: »
    Why an underbet on the flop? When should underbets be used?
    As said: to bet with a merged range. Both concepts are discussed in other thread as well as in RCP Pro videos (and other poker material).
    Dig!
    Why an over-bet on the river? I thought that overbets were meant for polarizing. Why can we do this with all our range?
    You answered yourself: we can't do it with our whole range because it's polarized.
    Why AA? AA is almost the top of our range and doesn't block any combo we would like V to call with
    Overbet to put V in s tough spot with the hands he stab flop but didn't feel to continue on turn. He will do more mistakes and more expensive mistakes.
    RCP also have Pro Videos about overbet.
    Why do you like a donk overbet with AA and a check raise with KK? What is it about the two hands that makes you want to take one line with AA and a different line with KK?
    You have to split to keep both your raising and calling ranges balanced. Now I prefer to c/r KK because I don't block AQ, I want V to feel confident with his QX, then AQ is his better 2P (after QT): more chance he fires. Blocking AQ isn't much an issue when I pot or overbet, as V now think in terms of bluff catching, so top kicker doesn't play a big role

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file