gl523gl523 Red Chipper Posts: 101 ✭✭
$.02/.04 Online 6 Players
Effective Stack Size:$2.81

Hero is on BB with :4D: :4H: .
CO limps. Hero checks.

Pot: $.10
Flop: :7C: :6C: :AC: .
Hero checks. CO bets $.04. Hero folds.

I was reluctant to raise against a limper with 44 since I noticed that there aren't many limpers who limp-fold at these stakes and playing with 44 leads to a guessing game unless I flop a set. However, I would normally open raise with 44 when UTG. Is it better to raise or try to get a set for cheap?
Tagged:

Answers

• babalouisebabalouise Red Chipper Posts: 26 ✭✭
    I would fire about .22 pre-flop. The limper could fold to that. They definitely wouldn't fold to only .12 or .16. If they call, I would fire again on any non-scary flop, and usually pick it up there. The scariest thing about the flop you got was the A (not the 3 clubs). If CO happened to just call your .22 pre-flop, he would do that with a lot of Ax hands.
  • RedRed Red Chipper Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭✭
    gl523 wrote: »
    and playing with 44 leads to a guessing game unless I flop a set.
    Stop playing your hand and start playing your range
  • gl523gl523 Red Chipper Posts: 101 ✭✭
    Red wrote: »

What do you mean?
  • JMCollinsJMCollins Los AngelesRed Chipper Posts: 10 ✭✭
    What are all the hands you would raise from the BB when facing a single limp? All those hands are what you should be considering when making a decision on any street. What are all the possible hands you could have in that spot based on the choices you've made to get there?

What do you mean?

If you don't know what that mean, you have to start reading basic poker book and/or enroll for RCP Core.
    Thinking in "range" is one of the very basic thing to learn.

What do you mean?

If you don't know what that mean, you have to start reading basic poker book and/or enroll for RCP Core.

Is this related to assuming that Villain is putting you on a range just as Hero is putting Villain on a range? Also, what basic poker book would you recommend? I don’t have enough poker profits to enroll in any non-free program. (4 NL doesn’t yield enough and I only play a couple hours a week.)
  • TheGameKatTheGameKat Posts: 2,500 -

What do you mean?

Is this related to assuming that Villain is putting you on a range just as Hero is putting Villain on a range? Also, what basic poker book would you recommend? I don’t have enough poker profits to enroll in any non-free program. (4 NL doesn’t yield enough and I only play a couple hours a week.)

How much is your time worth to you? You invest a lot of it here, but as Red and others have noted, at some point if you want to progress you need to study poker in a systematic way.
    Moderation In Moderation
    TheGameKat wrote: »

What do you mean?

How much is your time worth to you? You invest a lot of it here, but as Red and others have noted, at some point if you want to progress you need to study poker in a systematic way.

Good point. Most of my time here is during my study breaks (I am a student without a job or a car). The main issue is having the money. I can’t use my poker profits since even if I have a win rate of 100 BB an hour, with 4 NL, that’s still only $4 an hour. Given that I only play 1 or 2 hours a week, I don’t play enough to make back the investment. I am in the phase of building a bankroll so I will eventually move up to 10 NL and maybe 25 NL in the future. Once my profits are enough, then investing in a poker program is a definite move for me. However, until then, I am doing my best with the free resources that are out there.
  • TheGameKatTheGameKat Posts: 2,500 -
    That's one approach. Most players from my generation followed the study program of losing a few thousand at the tables. Fortunately for the health of the game, many never graduated.
    Moderation In Moderation
    edited April 18
    TheGameKat wrote: »

What do you mean?

Good point. Most of my time here is during my study breaks (I am a student without a job or a car). The main issue is having the money. I can’t use my poker profits since even if I have a win rate of 100 BB an hour, with 4 NL, that’s still only $4 an hour. Given that I only play 1 or 2 hours a week, I don’t play enough to make back the investment. I am in the phase of building a bankroll so I will eventually move up to 10 NL and maybe 25 NL in the future. Once my profits are enough, then investing in a poker program is a definite move for me. However, until then, I am doing my best with the free resources that are out there.

Unfortunately, the best material has to be bought. Being good at poker requires an investment - time, energy and... money. Money is used to buy quality material: books and videos made by coaches and on a next step to hire a coach. (But always double check if the material is worth it; some propose it as "coach", but is in fact low quality stuff, or a scam. All related to RCP and their main contributors - Splitsuit, Soto, Berkey, Miller, Hull - is between good and great.)

There is no max price, especially when we talk about material for mid/high stakes pro (look for S4Y prices if you wanna be scared).
    But for beginner and small stakes players, you can find some free material as well as not too expensive stuff. Splitsuit explained here how to study for free: https://redchippoker.com/how-to-learn-poker-for-free/
    ThePokerBank by Splitsuit is great and helped me a lot to improved here and there : https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLYzd2pigivfbl2OpYq1Vxg

But then, if you want to study poker in a systematical way - for example about ranges - and really step up, you will need to invest money into books and videos by coaches.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file