Correct to Fold When a Turn Overcard Comes?

gl523gl523 Red Chipper Posts: 71 ✭✭
$.02/.04 Online 6 Players
Effective Stack Size: $2.00

Hero is on BB with :QC: :TC: .
HJ limps. BU limps. Hero raises to $.20. BU calls.

Pot: $.46
Flop: :4D: :QH: :3H:
Hero bets $.23. BU calls.

Pot: $.92
Turn: :AD:
Hero checks. BU bets $.92. Hero folds.

Was this too nitty of a fold? Villain was the type to call very wide so he might have Ax in his range. Previously, he 4 bet shoved with QTo and got lucky against my AKs. I played it safe since I was OOP and thought that I would need to face another bet on the river with a marginal hand, especially since there are a lot of bad river cards that could come.
Tagged:

Comments

• SplitSuitSplitSuit RCP Coach Posts: 3,970 -
    Do you have any info on BU? Are they more likely to play a NFD fast on the flop? Does a PSB mean anything in particular? Is AQ ever in this limp-behind range preflop?

In general, this seems too nitty to me especially since this seems like the kind of player who gives some action...
    My new book lays out the playbook for AK. Grab your copy and start Optimizing Ace King!
  • gl523gl523 Red Chipper Posts: 71 ✭✭
    SplitSuit wrote: »
    Do you have any info on BU? Are they more likely to play a NFD fast on the flop? Does a PSB mean anything in particular? Is AQ ever in this limp-behind range preflop?

In general, this seems too nitty to me especially since this seems like the kind of player who gives some action...

Not enough information on BU to answer your questions other than what I gave in the description. :( I wish I took better notes. :( I don’t think Villain would limp with AQ given that Villain shoved with QTo. If I called and the river were a blank, do you think this is a check call or a fold situation for the river?
  • SplitSuitSplitSuit RCP Coach Posts: 3,970 -
    The pot would be far too large to x/fold the river.
    My new book lays out the playbook for AK. Grab your copy and start Optimizing Ace King!
    SplitSuit wrote: »
    The pot would be far too large to x/fold the river.

How does one reconcile that with the fact that second pair isn’t one of the hands that can handle three barrels of betting (or did I make a mistake with cbetting the flop)?
  • obliviusoblivius San FranciscoRed Chipper Posts: 54 ✭✭
    I believe you got in trouble by checking the turn...You have range advantage..Unless I had a ton of stats on V then I'd certainly bet the turn maybe 1/2-2/3 psb then eval V's play. Giving away the lead in that spot will create tough spots more than not
    oblivius wrote: »
    I believe you got in trouble by checking the turn...You have range advantage..Unless I had a ton of stats on V then I'd certainly bet the turn maybe 1/2-2/3 psb then eval V's play. Giving away the lead in that spot will create tough spots more than not

Yeah, I did think about that. However, my thoughts were that betting on the flop meant representing a Q, so if I bet the turn, it would be inconsistent with the hand that I would be trying to represent. Something tells me that this line of reasoning is very flawed though.
  • RyanH1995RyanH1995 Red Chipper Posts: 15 ✭✭
    I agree with what @oblivius said. Also if this villain is aggressive enough to 4bet shove with QTo I think he is probably raising all his Ax and better on the button when limped to. A lot of players at the micros will stab very wide on the turn when checked to because they perceive your check on the turn as you giving up and don't expect you to have a hand you can call with. His sizing also looks pretty bluffy on the turn. I would call turn and call any blank river as he could be doing this with :heart draws or picked up :diamond draws on the turn neither of which you block.
  • obliviusoblivius San FranciscoRed Chipper Posts: 54 ✭✭
    edited April 19
    Sure you're repping Q but moreover an entire range... your 3b range is not just your hand...Do some reading on "range advantage" etc. If you're only betting a pair Q's or better on a Q high flop you have work to do. Keep reading and posting.. that's a good start.... go get em
    oblivius wrote: »
    Sure you're repping Q but moreover an entire range... your 3b range is not just your hand...Do some reading on "range advantage" etc. If you're only betting a pair Q's or better on a Q high flop you have work to do. Keep reading and posting.. that's a good start.... go get em

Could you explain what it means to rep an entire range please? I understand a little bit about range advantage but repping an entire range sounds new to me.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file