The One Percent At The Microstakes

MrBalzterMrBalzter ✭✭Red Chipper Posts: 45 ✭✭
I'm trying to increase my continuation frequencies as outlined in The One Percent but I'm frequently getting called when bluffing. Over the last 1000 hands I've played I have been stacked 6 times. I play at 2 and 5 NL and I don't think a 70% continuation range is practical in these games. I normally play a very value heavy range and have a win rate of 6bb/100 with a VPIP/PFR of 20/17.
My question is should I be studying and trying to apply this content while playing at these stakes???
Tagged:

Comments

• TheGameKatTheGameKat - Posts: 2,480 -
    I think the important issue to appreciate is the fine print of the 70%. This includes: 1) when a bad event happens, we need to ratchet back our continuance frequencies; 2) when our opponents break the rules first, that gives us permission and frequently dictates that we also break the rules.

Or to put it in more classical terms, there's no point in blazing away into a calling station with a bluff.

Something to look at in this context is why flop types favor your range OOP as the preflop raiser. On many flops you should be well below 70% c-bet.
    Moderation In Moderation
  • MrBalzterMrBalzter ✭✭ Red Chipper Posts: 45 ✭✭
    An example of breaking the rules would be opponents that continue post flop regardless of my aggression. In which case I would continue betting less often with non made hands.
    MrBalzter wrote: »
    An example of breaking the rules would be opponents that continue post flop regardless of my aggression. In which case I would continue betting less often with non made hands.

Exactly.
    Moderation In Moderation
  • SplitSuitSplitSuit - RCP Coach Posts: 4,034 -
    MrBalzter wrote: »
    My question is should I be studying and trying to apply this content while playing at these stakes???

I echo Kat's response, but I'll expand on this part a bit...

When studying The One Percent material, understand the rules, what the rules look like when applied generally, and what a good back pocket strategy looks like. But then also consider when and how your opponents break the rules, and based upon that, how in turn you should adjust your ranges & frequencies.
    • Are players in your game folding too often against single stabs (like flop cbets)?
    • Are players in your game folding too often against barrels?
    • Are players in your game continuing with most of their range once they get to the turn and/or river?
    If yes to any of those questions, do they have a frequency kink in their strategy? And if yes, what kind of simple adjustments could you make to exploit them?

Remember that The One Percent is a starting point of the underlying mechanics of the game. And while it's a damn strong starting point, it's a.) not perfect (which should be obvious based upon its over-simplification of such a complex subject matter) and b.) often going to be deviated from since players CONSTANTLY break the rules and thus offer you exploitation opportunities.

Hopefully that helps a bit =)
  • MrBalzterMrBalzter ✭✭ Red Chipper Posts: 45 ✭✭
    Thanks guys, I just want to say I'm really impressed with the responses from the forum. This is my 3rd Poker Training site I've tried and the other two were very dead.

About the 1% and my recent downswing, 1000 hands is a pretty small sample and I think I'm a little tilted with the variance and my novice grasp of the new content. I'll keep working on it and asking questions to help improve my game.

Thanks again.
  • SplitSuitSplitSuit - RCP Coach Posts: 4,034 -
    Cheers. And keep reminding your brain that 1K hands isn't a sample size - it's a sneeze =)
  • 4 Horseman4 Horseman ✭✭ Red Chipper Posts: 34 ✭✭
    I'm reading the 1% for a second time and am half-way through the video series. I have a question but am not sure if this is covered in a later video. When developing my 3 bet ranges by position pre-flop, what should my ratios be (value to bluff)? I currently play $2/$5 live and occasionally higher.
  • LeChiffreLeChiffre ✭✭✭ NetherlandsRed Chipper Posts: 519 ✭✭✭
    edited July 8
    Don't know if this is ever covered in this video series, but in a polarized 3-betting strategy you'll want to make sure that villain breaks even on 4-bet bluffing, i.e. we give him exactly his required fold equity. What his required fold equity is depends on the sizings that are used, but let's say villain opens 3BB in CO, we 3-bet to 8BB on the button. If villain 4-bets to 20BB, his required fold equity will be
    17 / (17+ 12.5) = 57%. So we need to fold 57% of our range. This means that 57% of our 3-betting range should consist of bluffs, meaning roughly 1.3 bluff combos for every 1 value combo.
  • RedRed ✭✭✭✭ Red Chipper Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭✭
    LeChiffre wrote: »
    Don't know if this is ever covered in this video series, but in a polarized 3-betting strategy you'll want to make sure that villain breaks even on 4-bet bluffing, i.e. we give him exactly his required fold equity. What his required fold equity is depends on the sizings that are used, but let's say villain opens 3BB in CO, we 3-bet to 8BB on the button. If villain 4-bets to 20BB, his required fold equity will be
    17 / (17+ 12.5) = 57%. So we need to fold 57% of our range. This means that 57% of our 3-betting range should consist of bluffs, meaning roughly 1.3 bluff combos for every 1 value combo.

Note that this only consider outright profit and only considering V playing with Uno cards (=0% equity).

For a bit more, I'd advise for this Q&A video:
  • LeChiffreLeChiffre ✭✭✭ NetherlandsRed Chipper Posts: 519 ✭✭✭
  • slashingwheelerslashingwheeler Red Chipper Posts: 1
    Hi there, I just watched the 1% video series, I had a few questions about the calculations on the excel sheet and on some of the videos?

I understand that being exactly at 70% is not the point and I understand the concept of frequencies, but it seems like my calculations are not matching up – please let me know where I am going wrong?

Please see attached questions on the microsoft word document. Thanks.

No attachment
    Moderation In Moderation
  • SpeusippusSpeusippus ✭✭ Red Chipper Posts: 6 ✭✭
    Is "The One Percent" referring to Ed Miller's book or something else?
    Speusippus wrote: »
    Is "The One Percent" referring to Ed Miller's book or something else?

Ed Miller's book and a video series by SplitSuit on the same topic based on the book.
    Moderation In Moderation

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file