How to maximum value for bottom sets?

ErinningErinning Red Chipper Posts: 32 ✭✭
edited April 21 in Live Poker Hands
Hey everyone, it's 1-2 NL. I had $350.
:3c :3s I was sb and it's straddle pot
UTG, UTG+2, MP, co, HJcall
:3h :Kc :9c
15, UTG called(she had 200, and she is a tight player), UTG+2 raised to 30(he only have 100 left), other people fold, I went to all-in, UTG and UTG+2 both fold.

My opponent(UTG+2) showed QK,
I wanna ask how to play this hand to make maximum value.

Bottom sets, I don't think it's ok to slow play. When he reraised, I was thinking he might have two pairs or flush draw or sets 9.
There's another tight player in this pot and more chips. Should I just reraise to $60 or $90?
Thank you for your advice.

Comments

• GinMnayGinMnay Red Chipper Posts: 2 ✭✭
    Erinning wrote: »
    Bottom sets, I don't think it's ok to slow play. When he reraised, I was thinking he might have two pairs or flush draw or sets 9.
    There's another tight player in this pot and more chips. Should I just reraise to $60 or $90?

You seem to think that 3 betting is better option than calling, and I’m 100% agree with it! The question now is that how big we should 3 bet, and this is a good place to start our analysis.

The most interesting factor in this decision point is the UTG tight player. When you have a hand as strong as bottom set, your goal is to take the action that gets the most money in the pot. By shoving, she has to call $200 more, since she limped then just called your flop bet, she certainly doesn’t have the hand strength to call that.

Instead, I think a raise to around $70 is best here, this way the UTG is calling $55 to win a pot of already $145, and gives the +2 a chance to shove his short stack. Also this raise sizing make future street easy to play. If both opponent calls your raise, the pot will be $240 and effective stack of $140, if only +2 calls the pot will be $170 with $60 effective. Either way will be a easy shove on the turn regardless of what comes.

Finally, the words”all in” sometimes can scare people away. If you want to get called, bet an amount close to all in without saying the words “all in”.

Hope this helps.
  • RedRed Red Chipper Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭✭
    Someone at low stakes overbombing like you did is either (often) a fish with a great hand or (rarely) a bully with 90%air/10%monster hand.

For the rest, @GinMnay summed it up.
  • ErinningErinning Red Chipper Posts: 32 ✭✭
    GinMnay wrote: »
    Erinning wrote: »

You seem to think that 3 betting is better option than calling, and I’m 100% agree with it! The question now is that how big we should 3 bet, and this is a good place to start our analysis.

The most interesting factor in this decision point is the UTG tight player. When you have a hand as strong as bottom set, your goal is to take the action that gets the most money in the pot. By shoving, she has to call $200 more, since she limped then just called your flop bet, she certainly doesn’t have the hand strength to call that.

Instead, I think a raise to around $70 is best here, this way the UTG is calling $55 to win a pot of already $145, and gives the +2 a chance to shove his short stack. Also this raise sizing make future street easy to play. If both opponent calls your raise, the pot will be $240 and effective stack of $140, if only +2 calls the pot will be $170 with $60 effective. Either way will be a easy shove on the turn regardless of what comes.

Finally, the words”all in” sometimes can scare people away. If you want to get called, bet an amount close to all in without saying the words “all in”.

Hope this helps.

Thank you so much! I think it's really helpful. I will be more careful about use "All-in" such powerful word especially against tight player.
    Thank you! 👍
  • persuadeopersuadeo Red Chipper, Table Captain Posts: 4,002 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No, you don't have enough strong hands on this board to justify raising.
  • osirus0830osirus0830 Red Chipper Posts: 77 ✭✭
    edited April 22
    I don't think that I raise the flop. I know that people may disagree but in a straddled pot there should be fewer draws since the effective stacks get reduced by half in terms of big blinds. You also have a club which reduces the odds for a flush draw to get there. I would flat the raise on the flop and consider leading turn and river. Your line would smell like a bluff to many because sets should have raised the flop.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file