Strategy for stealing unwanted pots

Shawn JShawn J Red Chipper Posts: 62 ✭✭
Scenario: Live 10 handed NLH. The pot is multiway either 4 to 8 handed, either limped all around or there's a single bettor with multiple callers. It's checked through all streets. When's it best to try to steal an unwanted pot when it's checking through. The turn? River? What position? Could you provide some good resources that talk about this? Thank you

Answers

• TheGameKatTheGameKat Posts: 2,013 -
    I think a more effective way of addressing this situation is to ask how you could manipulate the situation so that you weren't facing massively multiway pots.
    Moderation In Moderation
  • Shawn JShawn J Red Chipper Posts: 62 ✭✭
    Yes. If initial bettor, bet an amount preflop that maximizes pressure. This could be 10x to 20x. Or play tighter ranges. Or 3 bet a ton. I feel the choice is to play an overly aggressive, high variance style against passive players that love to call or play passive yourself by calling behind, but with a tighter range, and getting Max value when your hand has value. But, only check through when completely missed with no draws or showdown. But, say you're implementing this strategy all ready. You're in position and it's been checked to you through the turn or River. Betting pot has to work 50% to break even. Is the math the same of how often your bluff has to work to get through multiple players, instead of just one?

I'll dig around more for answers. I may find good explanations on YouTube!

Thanks
  • persuadeopersuadeo Red Chipper, Table Captain Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    the answer won't necessarily relate to a pot being unwanted or not. Or to put it another way, an indifference equation isn't really a strategy, it's the measurement of that strategy.

Take lines that make sense for your range and theirs, and you will not only take down many of these pots, your whole game will come together rather than looking at each situation as an endless set of circumstances.
  • AlpineCurtAlpineCurt Red Chipper Posts: 48 ✭✭
    edited April 21
    Shawn J wrote: »
    You're in position and it's been checked to you through the turn or River. Betting pot has to work 50% to break even. Is the math the same of how often your bluff has to work to get through multiple players, instead of just one?

When you bet pot, you need everyone to fold at least 50% of the time. Do you think you can get folds from everyone above that threshold? This is why bluffing into passive, multiway pots can be risky and tricky.

I encourage you to approach these spots from @TheGameKat's advice: how can you take advantage of their playing tendencies and avoid these multiway pots in the first place?
  • RedRed Red Chipper Posts: 1,973 ✭✭✭✭
    Stealing a pot HU or 3-way is really not the same as stealing a 4-8-ways MW pot.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file