Hand Review

Steve MSteve M Red Chipper Posts: 34 ✭✭
Game = $1/$2 - 9 Players

Friday Night = High Hand Promotion running so a lot of bingo players fill the room.

Hero = About 1 hour into session. Up around $170 from 2 hands. Got 3 streets of value on an A,9,6,5,2 board with A,9s after being PFR & shoved over a $15 CO raise from the BB because they were short stacked with about $60 behind. CO Folded.

Villain #1 = Regular Player. I had not played with him but was talking to dealers & other players around the room. Was sitting next to a player I had played with 2 nights ago and we talked about a hand from then. About ~$800 in front of him when I sat down but no hands of note since I sat.

Villain #2 = Older Guy. Playing tight. No hands of note. Don't think I've seen him PFR once.

Hero = :3s :5s

Straddle on for $4 making it a $1-$2-$4 game for this hand.

UTG (Villain #1) = Calls $4
UTG+1 = Folds
MP (Villain #2) = Calls $4
Hero = Calls $4
CO = Calls $4
Button = Calls $4
SB = Calls $3
BB = Calls $2
Straddle = Checks

I limped along with a speculative hand because the players to my left were weak & overplaying their hands. I figured if I hit a flop, I could win a nice pot or get away from it cheap if I missed. The only player I was concerned would 'punish the limpers' without a premium hand was the Straddle but we had played 2 nights before & wasn't one to do that on a straddle. Plus High Hand Possibilities! (I kid... really)

Side note, looking back on my hand histories here, I really, really need to stop limping with these low suited connectors. If I continue to post hands that start this way, I owe everyone on this forum a beer.

Pot = $28

:9s :6s :5d

SB, BB, Straddle = Check
UTG (Villain #1) = Bets $15
MP (Villain #2) = Calls $15
Hero = Calls $15
Everyone else folds

At first glance, I love this flop, but when the UTG player bets into 8 players, I'm thinking he has to be at the top of his range which is really only the straight, set or maybe 2 pair though I'm discounting that since not sure 9,6 is in his range & I block all the rest. Don't feel as if he'd be betting many draws into this large of a field unless its a strong combo draw.

When MP calls, I'm not really putting too much thought into his range. He was pretty weak so I felt his range was still pretty wide. I was more concerned with the UTG player.

Turn = $73

:3h

UTG = Bets $40
MP = Calls $40
Hero = Calls $40

At second glance, I should really love this card but I still have alarm bells going off. UTG betting again on an essential blank card really doesn't do much to narrow his range. I now feel he is much more weighted toward the top of his range and don't feel he has a draw. MP called quickly so I'm starting to think he has a pair+draw or pocket 7's/8's or maybe the nut flush draw. I considered raising but I have equity against almost any holdings and I don't want to have to fold it to a re-raise that would definitely be coming if UTG has a made hand.

River = $193

:3d

UTG = Bets $80
MP = All-in for $131

Hero = ???

FWIW, I asked the dealer & UTG would not be allowed to raise if I called because it did not double his bet so if I call the $131, I don't have to worry about UTG coming over the top. I'm not sure if this rule is standard across all poker rooms & truth be told, I knew UTG was not allowed to raise but asked to see if I could get a read off of either player.

Comments

• In The DarkIn The Dark Red Chipper Posts: 200 ✭✭
    Steve M wrote: »
    Friday Night = High Hand Promotion running so a lot of bingo players fill the room.

I limped along with a speculative hand because the players to my left were weak & overplaying their hands. I figured if I hit a flop, I could win a nice pot or get away from it cheap if I missed.

I stopped reading right here. YOU are the bingo player.

53s makes:

1. Craptacular flushes that can easily get stacked by bigger flushes.
    2. Suspect straights that can get beat with a bunch of higher straights.
    3. Two pair that's easily counterfeited.
    4. Trips with no kicker.
    5. All the other stuff that will make you rich!

I'll read more but I think I know how this ends.
  • osirus0830osirus0830 Red Chipper Posts: 62 ✭✭
    At least one of them has a better full house. The other may have a straight. Even though I believe that you're behind based on the betting action on the river, I still call mainly because its 1/2 and villains do stupid things at this level.
  • Paul_KPaul_K DFWRed Chipper Posts: 302 ✭✭✭
    I like Shiner Bock.

Are you asking whether you should call or raise river? UTG range is face up. A raise would be for value (UTG never folding a better hand). So defaults to math... # of combos you beat vs what combos beat you.
  • osirus0830osirus0830 Red Chipper Posts: 62 ✭✭
    edited April 22
    Paul_K wrote: »
    I like Shiner Bock.

Are you asking whether you should call or raise river? UTG range is face up. A raise would be for value (UTG never folding a better hand). So defaults to math... # of combos you beat vs what combos beat you.

Based on what was posted, hero likely got shown the bad news of a better full house and is trying to figure out if he could have found a fold. I don't see how hero could fold a boat at this level ever, but it would be interesting if other posters have different feedback.

The problem at this level is that the donkeys will limp hands as strong as pocket 99s and TTs. Makes it impossible to fold because you're likely ahead of over 50% of hands that would be played like this, but you will be shown 99s and 66s full more often than you should.
  • Paul_KPaul_K DFWRed Chipper Posts: 302 ✭✭✭
    @osirus0830... agree can never fold river. Hero was dead to a set before river anyway, but now has pulled ahead of straights and 2p.

If there is any results oriented thinking to be done, it goes all the way back to preflop.
  • CactusCardsCactusCards ArizonaRed Chipper Posts: 106 ✭✭
    Any hazy IPA will do for me.

Why are we justifying playing suited trash hands? Easy fold-pre IMO, especially from MP.

These hands will only get you into trouble, as it did here. Trust me I used to do this ALL THE TIME. Tightening up my pre-flop hands from early to mid position has saved me thousands at 1/2. I started to keep track of the marginal plays I’d make and the result (think opening KJo UTG)...the graph wasn't pretty.

I recommend you do the same so you can see the impact is has on your sessions. Really opened my eyes to it.
  • SullySully Red Chipper Posts: 768 ✭✭✭
    Steve M wrote: »
    Game = $1/$2 - 9 Players
    I'm thinking he has to be at the top of his RANGE which is really only the straight, set or maybe 2 pair though I'm discounting that since not sure 9,6 is in his RANGE & I block all the rest.

I laughed here. You have 3,5 but he doesn't have 9,6???.......Probably should never see the word range in a post about limped or straddled pots where everybody just comes along

Here's everybody's range..ATC

Also, I'm on board with adding Craptacular to the dictionary

• In The DarkIn The Dark Red Chipper Posts: 200 ✭✭
    Sully wrote: »

I laughed here. You have 3,5 but he doesn't have 9,6???.......Probably should never see the word range in a post about limped or straddled pots where everybody just comes along

OT but ...

UTG limps CO ^12, B c, I raise in SB to 37. UTG CALLS!? WTF is that range? Yes, he's a donk. Yes, he went broke. But what on earth could that be?
  • SullySully Red Chipper Posts: 768 ✭✭✭
    edited April 28
    Sully wrote: »

OT but ...

UTG limps CO ^12, B c, I raise in SB to 37. UTG CALLS!? WTF is that range? Yes, he's a donk. Yes, he went broke. But what on earth could that be?

I try not to think about it.... seriously. Applying rational thought to a situation like this will only drive ME crazy. I just rely on villains actions to let me know what crap he has. As soon as he bets or raises, no matter how unlikely he is holding the combos to beat me, I fold. Which BTW will include AK, QQ to go along with 89o, Ace anything and apparently all suuuuited hands :)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file