BOMB POTS: Open Discussion

Shawn JShawn J Red Chipper Posts: 62 ✭✭
In General, Good or Bad for Poker?
No Limit Holdem or PLO?
Single or Double Board?
Is the Higher Variance good/bad for your Roll?
Better for Winning Player? loosing player?
Short stacks? Deep Stacks?
Raked Games? Time charged Games?
Should or shouldn't you participate if it's optional?

Double board Bomb pots are becoming all the rage here in Central texas. Every orbit or every dealer change, depending if its a home game or card house, every player puts in an agreed apon fixed amount, ie $10, which is optional if you want to be dealt in or not. Two Flops are dealt and betting starts at the small blind. Then two turns, round of betting and two rivers, round of betting. Best hand or hands can either chop the pot or scoop it ALL.

I've witnessed, including myself, both the tightest and loosest of players participate and win huge pots or lose massive pots along with their stacks and their minds! Few tight players and even winning players choose not to participate at all. Too Crazy! Too much Variance! They think its bingo, to much gamble, or their just uncomfortable playing them.

I witnessed a double board PLO Bomb pot at a card house the other day when a new dealer came in and deals the bomb pot. 6 of the 8 players were ALL IN on the flop. Over $5k in the pot and 4 side pots. It took the dealer 15 minutes to deal and finish the hand! 15 minutes later we got a new dealer!

Lets hear your opinions! Thanks

Answers

• Doug HullDoug Hull RCP Coach Posts: 1,740 -
    edited April 22
    We tried getting one started at Aria PLO.

When it first was brought up, I was UTG and so had no interest in this.

However, I agreed that if we were to do a series of them then I was fine with it. There was to be a second button that processed the opposite direction each bomb pot and then when the two buttons met, it was a bomb pot.

To me, this is a separate game that gets interspersed with the regular game. Let's look at what the game really is:
    • Ante large
    • No betting pre.
    • Regular game

So, the big question is what is the SPR in this game. We were going to do $25 bomb pots, with eight hands and stacks of about $500-$1000 for an SPR of 2.5 through 5.0

If you there is a bet on the flop, it is almost certain that someone will call among the field (PLO) and one of them is going broke.

This seems like an elaborate way to get more money on the table, or to get less players in the game. Given this was the dregs of the Friday night game on Saturday morning, there was no one to fill the seats.

I suspect this would have killed the game if the bomb pots gone off. I only had an hour left to play, so the ecosystem going on self-destruct would not have bothered me.

I think there is a modicum of skill to this sub-game. If players have the cash and will to rebuy then it will turn the main-game much deeper very quickly.

I am indifferent to doing this, if I am in position or it will become part of the structure of the game.

I would be opposed if it was just one and I was out of position. My concern with starting it when I was OOP is that this kind of thing will often die very quickly after someone gets felted badly so it will be just one or two bomb-pots and I don't want to be OOP for them.

I expect to see a huge amount of these during the Series.
    Co-founder Red Chip Poker,
    Author Poker Plays You Can Use
    Author Poker Workbook for Math Geeks
  • SplitSuitSplitSuit RCP Coach Posts: 3,984 -
    These pots are super mathematical (since, like @Doug Hull said, the SPR is typically quite small) and take people out of their comfort zone - so there is an edge to be garnered. I pretty much never turn them down (unless someone is clearly only offering them when I'm in a skunk position), and will offer to pay people's ante just to keep them in the hand.

Anything that is new, different, and can change the dynamic of the table on a dime is something I welcome 9 times out of 10.
  • persuadeopersuadeo Red Chipper, Table Captain Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    there is a great need for novelty in a game that requires so much dreary repetition.
  • SullySully Red Chipper Posts: 768 ✭✭✭
    When it comes to your customers the word no should not really be in your vocabulary too much

Bombpot?....Sure

As a side benefit, being witness to a complete meltdown of rational thought is probably one of the greatest joys in poker
  • Michael EMichael E Red Chipper Posts: 121 ✭✭
    Seems like a good time to take a quick walk and stretch the legs!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file