Limp 3-Bet bluff?

NTD12NTD12 Red Chipper Posts: 49 ✭✭
1/2 NL. Effective stacks I think about $150...One of the V.

I've been wanting to try this for a while. Table is fairly active but I have not been. I'm sure my image is pretty tight. I think I've only played 2 or 3 hands in the last 45 minutes.

:Ah :9c UTG - I limp

UTG +2 raises to $7 and gets 3 callers so now ~$30 in the pot.

I decide to utilize the A blocker and 3 bet to $75 hoping to just take the $30.

Thoughts on sizing? Or is this just a -EV play all around?

Comments

• osirus0830osirus0830 Red Chipper Posts: 77 ✭✭
    There is dead money in the pot so I don't hate the play. In general I would prefer to do this in position because playing out of position will suck with this hand.
  • TheGrindersCookbookTheGrindersCookbook Merrimack, NHRed Chipper Posts: 68 ✭✭
    Interesting, as someone who sees a limp reraise as a super strong hand from most players, I would lay down some premium hands here if I saw it. Probably fold out all low pockets, A2-AT suited, KJ, KQ,, Q8-QK, J9-JQ, T9, 98, 87..
  • persuadeopersuadeo Red Chipper, Table Captain Posts: 4,002 ✭✭✭✭✭
    your second card doesn't share any of the first card's blocking qualities, you can find better hands to do this with if this is your way forward.
  • NTD12NTD12 Red Chipper Posts: 49 ✭✭
    Thanks guys. My intention was to fold out all hands and just steal it. I felt I had pretty good fold equity. Probably not the 75% needed to make it profitable long term though but I wanted to try the play.

If I got called I would have tried to play as if I had AA.

@persuadeo - agreed on needing a better second card and will wait again until trying this play again.

What about sizing? I might have been able to get away with this with a $50 bet?
  • RCP Coach - Fausto ValdezRCP Coach - Fausto Valdez RCP Coach Posts: 835 ✭✭✭✭
    @NTD12 i think your play is fine if that was your intent to begin with however you could choose a naturally better hand candidate, if your choosing this your accepting that your going into exploitative land which could be fine if ppl are overfolding in this spot.

As far as your sizing you don't really want action here, your purely squeezing but $75 maybe a little to big, around $50 - $60 should be fine.
    COACHING NOW AVAILABLE HERE
    MY COACHING REVIEWS HERE
  • In The DarkIn The Dark Red Chipper Posts: 210 ✭✭
    NTD12 wrote: »
    Thanks guys. My intention was to fold out all hands and just steal it. I felt I had pretty good fold equity. Probably not the 75% needed to make it profitable long term though but I wanted to try the play.

@persuadeo - agreed on needing a better second card and will wait again until trying this play again.

I do this fairly regularly and the hand I most often hold is 66 +/- and I want only 2 active players. I want to mimic AA, KK so I don't bomb it. I would make a pot sized raise.

Last time I did this I got a caller and a 6 OTF.
  • NTD12NTD12 Red Chipper Posts: 49 ✭✭
    Thank you both
  • RedRed Red Chipper Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭✭
    NTD12 wrote: »

I do this fairly regularly and the hand I most often hold is 66 +/- and I want only 2 active players. I want to mimic AA, KK so I don't bomb it. I would make a pot sized raise.

Last time I did this I got a caller and a 6 OTF.

You don't really mimic AA/KK. You mimic AA/KK badly played. This limp/raise with AA was popularized by Doyle Brunson, and you find way too many bad players doing it brainlessly (still a minority of players tho). They do it badly since they only limp/raise AA (sometimes KK, QQ or AK, with some more exotic combo like TT or ATo), not through a sound strategy.

Yes, you can mimic AA by doing so - mimicking this unbalanced line - , but if you do it more than once per session, any ok player will notice and start adjusting.
    Which then make you playing a meh hand OOP against a ok competent player. Not a +EV situation per se.

So I think it's ok if you do it once or twice a session because most bad/ok players will have a hard time to guess what you're doing and you increase their mistakes - especially folding mistakes. (Still, as pointed out, you may have better hands to fire with.)
    But if you start doing it regularly in a session or you meet the same Villains through your sessions, I can only advise you to start building a balanced limp/raise range - not forgetting that all limp/raise combos aren't in your opening range anymore thus weaken your opening range.
  • In The DarkIn The Dark Red Chipper Posts: 210 ✭✭
    Red wrote: »

You don't really mimic AA/KK. You mimic AA/KK badly played.

No. I mimic AA, KK as often played by my opponents. Feel free to tell them to wise the F up.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file