Turns a set and gets checked-raised

JayLeeJayLee Red Chipper Posts: 2 ✭✭
This is my first post, so take it easy on me.

2/5 NLH, $900 effective and the villain covers me. I just sat down a couple of hands ago, so no real info on the villain other than euro young guy.

V utg+2, opens to $20. Hero is MP with QsQd. Hero 3bets to $100 and folds around to V. The V thinks a bit and calls.

Flop (pot $200)
Kc 2c 7h

V checks and hero checks.

Turn (pot $200)

Qc

the turn gives me a set of queens and bring a front door flush. V checks again and hero goes for some value with $125 bet. V thinks a bit and re-raise to $400. Now it is either fold or jam. Calling doesn't make sense to me since I will be left with 1/3 pot. Folding seems like too nitty so hero jams. V quickly calls. the river blanks and V turns over 10c9c for flush.

any thoughts on this hand? anything I ccould have done differently?

Comments

• In The DarkIn The Dark Red Chipper Posts: 200 ✭✭
    JayLee wrote: »
    Now it is either fold or jam.

Agree. I don't think your decision matters since your EV looks maybe the same either way.

That opinion was formed BEFORE reading your results (which you should hold for later).
  • NinjahNinjah Red Chipper Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭✭
    I think you made significant errors with both the preflop and turn sizings. These sizings are also what placed you into a position where you felt you were stuck. If Villain is a decent hand reader and a thinking player, then he'll have realized that you've narrowed your range excessively by your actions and ultimately turned your range face up.

There's no need to 3-bet to 5x in position. $75 preflop changes the entire geometry of this pot. I'd probably not check this flop with this hand either since we unblock clubs but I don't think it's terrible to do so. Turn sizing is too large. A 3-bet naturally narrows ranges and when you combine that with your sizing on the turn, you should be aware of Villain's most likely holdings and what a raise means from him. When the Qc falls and you take the actions that you have taken preflop and turn, you have no flushes in your range where he has several at this stack depth.

$75 pre and $60-70 on the flop or turn changes the way this hand plays out, and may have saved you your stack.
  • SullySully Red Chipper Posts: 768 ✭✭✭
    edited April 25
    IMO

You should pretty much range bet on 90%(maybe even 99%) of flops in 3-bet pots. I think you increase EV, help your bluffs and add visibility to the hand
  • jeffncjeffnc Red Chipper Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It seems pretty clear that your opponent doesn't have a K in his hand by the turn, so betting now doesn't seem to accomplish much. Based on your preflop action and his postflop action, what "value" are you going for exactly? You crush the board in terms of range when he checks to you twice, with the only exceptions being when he has a flush, really. There's no reason for him to suspect you have a flush at this point, and it's unlikely he's going to continue slowplaying a set of 7s anymore. You trying to get a call from AQs or something? You should be all over AA, KK, QQ, AK, AQs possibly, so betting the turn on this board makes little sense to me. Take the free card and beat him with a boat, or otherwise call a smaller amount on the river than you risked this way. It is mostly going to be bluff catching or losing to a flush.
  • derdonkerderdonker Red Chipper Posts: 123 ✭✭
    pf - i like your 3bet to $100, in-position to the opener.

flop - your QQ is vulnerable, with a K and two clubs on the board. you're hu, and it's checked to you, i would bet here, 2/3-pot. if you get raised, you can let it go.

turn - pot should be bigger by this point. Qc is good and bad. you have the best hand except for flushes, which are likely, especially with Ac not on the board. if it's checked to you, i would check behind. if it's bet and not too large, i would call and see a river.

river - if another club hits, especially the Ac, you're good, and bet/raise for value. without another club, depending on turn action, probably just check/call behind.

A set of Q is a great hand, but it's not the nuts with this board.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file