Need Help Understanding Triple Barreling Concept

gl523gl523 Red Chipper Posts: 86 ✭✭
I was reading this article on triple barreling and I was confused on this concept. Here is the article:https://redchippoker.com/how-to-barrel-tips/

Here is the section that confuses me:
“Say you open to $20 and get two calls from the blinds. The flop comes 7♦ 6♦ 2♣. Your opponents check, you bet $40, and an opponent check-raises to $80. You call.

The turn is the J♦. Your opponent bets $80, and you call. There’s $380 in the pot, and say you’ve got $1,000 behind.

The river is the T♦, putting four diamonds on board. Your opponent checks.

Consider making an overbet in this situation. Given the action, it’s extremely unlikely your opponent has the A♦. Most players wouldn’t check-raise this flop with many hands including the A♦. The nut flush draw is possible, but most players with that hand would, if they check-raised, make it bigger. And the river check is also out of character for a player with the A♦.”

Why wouldn’t most players check raise the flop with the Ad? If they check raised the flop with the nut flush draw, why would it be bigger?

Comments

• LeChiffreLeChiffre NetherlandsRed Chipper Posts: 458 ✭✭✭
    gl523 wrote: »
    Why wouldn’t most players check raise the flop with the Ad? If they check raised the flop with the nut flush draw, why would it be bigger?

Great question. For sure someone should correct me on this, but this is my understanding:

I think the biggest reason is that with the nut flush draw (or just any hand containing Ad) you have showdown value. You can use other hands which don't have showdown value as bluffs.

As for sizing, since you should be mostly raising a polarized range (two pairs+ on one pole and bluffs with some equity on the other), you want to raise larger. Both your bluffs and your value benefit from that.

Again, don't take my word for it but I think I'm pretty close =)
  • RedRed Red Chipper Posts: 1,973 ✭✭✭✭
    Why wouldn’t most players check raise the flop with the Ad?
    IMHO:
    Because they are afraid / play passively, and/or they have no sound (aka balanced) aggro strategy.

V x/r all his :DIAMOND: FD combos, then he x/r too many of them - he doesn't have enough sets/2P to be balanced - and you can't use all your 2P+ to max out your :DIAMOND: FD combo, because then your x/c range is so weak you can't sustain a double barrel bluff.
    So you've to chose which combo you x/r and which you x/c with. And people tend to be shy and use combos draws to have more outs (like OESD+FD, gutshot+FD, pair+FD/nut FD) - then there would be here few/none :AD: :XD: combos.

Also as pointed out by @LeChiffre , I prefer to c-r with combos with less SDV like Td9d, as AdXd-like combo could get a nice TP if an A spikes. (But you also should have some AdXd combos here as well, to avoid having only not-nut FD.)
    If they check raised the flop with the nut flush draw, why would it be bigger?
    Most surely a (casual) bet sizing mistake.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file