First public demo of Doug Hull's upcoming Range Subset Tool

Doug HullDoug Hull RCP Coach Posts: 1,876 -
edited April 2019 in Poker Software
I am getting started on a new software tool. This is the first preliminary demonstration. The idea of this software is to make it easier to break your range into subsets, like bet-call, check-fold, etc... People often want to do this to follow Ed Miller's Poker 1% model, but there is no easy way to do the bookkeeping right now.

This is a demonstration of the selection of draws and combo draws. It introduces a new 52x52 grid for showing combos.

Please discuss here, I am very early in development with no set delivery date, yet. Feedback now allows me to put in features before release.
Co-founder Red Chip Poker,
Author Poker Plays You Can Use
Author Poker Workbook for Math Geeks

Comments

• persuadeopersuadeo Red Chipper Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very exciting.

I know it goes against the grain, but if you were to be the first to correct the longstanding visual error of the poker combo matrix running backwards as it does (small cards in quadrant 2 to the ace in 1), that would be bold and more intuitive.
  • RedRed Red Chipper Posts: 2,498 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2019
    Hi Doug,
    Thanks for letting us giving you a feedback. I've watched the video and here is my impression:
    - I like the original visualization, which echos Flopfalcon.
    - It doesn't seem possible to select specific combos in a subset - for example only some of the pair+ and bckd OESD instead of all of them. This would be a need for fine tuning range construction.
    - What is the plus-value of this software? I don't see what this software does more, or better, than what already proposes Flopzilla?
  • Doug HullDoug Hull RCP Coach Posts: 1,876 -
    Spoke with @Persuadeo off line, thank you.

Red,

This is just a small subset test of a much larger project. The idea is you will start with your pre-flop range, and then be able to move each hand in that range into different sub-ranges.

As an example of the tool, with no respect to the actual strategy of it... For instance, on :KH::JS::8S: with a 20% PF range we might want to separate out all the
    • Gusthots with BDFD
    • Sets
    • Top Two
    into a bucket called: Check-Raise.

We might have a different bucket of Check-Call that has:
    • Top Pair 4th kicker and worse
    • OESD without a FD
    • Gutshots with BDFD

And a bet-fold bucket that is something else. Everything else goes into a check-fold bucket.

Now we have decided what we will do with every hand in our range, and know we have not miscounted anything.

With these sub-ranges, we can see if our percentages are out of whack compared to GTO or other metrics. If we assume ranges for the opponent responses, we can then calculate the EV of the entire range, for the entire line.

Eventually, this tool will have each individual hand that can then be sub-selected and moved to an appropriate sub-range (as you suggested).
  • AlpineCurtAlpineCurt Red Chipper Posts: 62 ✭✭
    I am also enthused.

How elaborate is the plan for this program? Will there be a way to filter which bucket gets used on a street by street basis? I'm thinking similar to how you can filter hands in a range in Flopzilla on each street.
    Doug Hull wrote: »
    If we assume ranges for the opponent responses, we can then calculate the EV of the entire range, for the entire line.

Is this part of the larger project you mentioned?

A feature I use all the time when working between Flopzilla and Equilab is range string output as a way to quickly copy/paste, import/export ranges between programs. I would find that very useful here too.
  • LeChiffreLeChiffre NetherlandsRed Chipper Posts: 657 ✭✭✭

Red,

This is just a small subset test of a much larger project. The idea is you will start with your pre-flop range, and then be able to move each hand in that range into different sub-ranges.

As an example of the tool, with no respect to the actual strategy of it... For instance, on :KH::JS::8S: with a 20% PF range we might want to separate out all the
    • Gusthots with BDFD
    • Sets
    • Top Two

• OESD without a FD
    • Gutshots with BDFD

And a bet-fold bucket that is something else. Everything else goes into a check-fold bucket.

Now we have decided what we will do with every hand in our range, and know we have not miscounted anything.

With these sub-ranges, we can see if our percentages are out of whack compared to GTO or other metrics. If we assume ranges for the opponent responses, we can then calculate the EV of the entire range, for the entire line.

Eventually, this tool will have each individual hand that can then be sub-selected and moved to an appropriate sub-range (as you suggested).

I'm sold
  • RedRed Red Chipper Posts: 2,498 ✭✭✭✭✭

Red,

• Gusthots with BDFD
    • Sets
    • Top Two

• OESD without a FD
    • Gutshots with BDFD

Thanks for the respond.

In my humble opinion:

- As a pure hand/range selection, from preflop to postlfop street by street, I'm still not sold ( ;) @LeChiffre ) as Flopzilla already provide a similar tool.

- Then if your software would allow compare your selection to a solver and see directly or easily the difference between our own hands selection and the solver in the different subsets, this would be a big plus worth it.

• Doug HullDoug Hull RCP Coach Posts: 1,876 -
    Here is an update, the software is coming along.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file