Underrolled ?

NYI80283NYI80283 Red Chipper Posts: 56 ✭✭
Does playing at a stake that is way too high for you roll serve as a cure for your boredom tilt? I find it helps.

Comments

• blindraiseblindraise Red Chipper Posts: 183 ✭✭
    Standing up usually serves as my cure to boredom, or any form of tilt for that matter.
  • LeChiffreLeChiffre NetherlandsRed Chipper Posts: 483 ✭✭✭
    If you need to move up to cure your boredom there might be something wrong with your approach to ghe game
  • Joseph FJoseph F Red Chipper Posts: 837 ✭✭✭
    edited April 27
    I've learned lately - through experience and the advice of better players - that you want to do this *very* carefully and selectively. Variance is much, much wider than any of us really seem to realize and there's a lot you simply can't control. Good BRM cushions you from going bankrupt. Also, there is no way to accurately predict how you will respond to beats/losses mentally when you move up and play terribly under rolled. Virtually nobody is going to keep playing their A-Game when they just lost 40% of their total bankroll in a few hours. What will you most likely do? Not move back down, keep going, and lose all of it. It's a slippery slope and you want to keep in mind that a lot of online players are playing with 100+ BI's for their stake. If you're playing w/ 10, you need to realize that you're going to be shackled in a lot of spots and you're extremely vulnerable to being bluffed to death. You need solid 4/5betting ranges at 25NL+ and it's extremely difficult to implement these under rolled like that. Once you get past the nanostakes, other players at the table are going to be able to tell if you're playing under rolled and they will use this to exploit you terribly.

As a solid reg on RIO told me recently: You *can* move up and take aggressive shots, just as long as you're willing to move back down as aggressively.
    LeChiffre wrote: »
    If you need to move up to cure your boredom there might be something wrong with your approach to ghe game

Of course, even if he's playing live, if he's bored @ 1/2, I don't think any pros would advise him to move up to 2/5 under rolled.
  • NYI80283NYI80283 Red Chipper Posts: 56 ✭✭
    Joseph F wrote: »
    LeChiffre wrote: »

Of course, even if he's playing live, if he's bored @ 1/2, I don't think any pros would advise him to move up to 2/5 under rolled.

Sorry I should have been more clear. I don't play online. I was talking about live. Thanks for the response.
  • elsecretelsecret Red Chipper Posts: 4 ✭✭
    I don't know really. I feel like when ever i try bigger stakes I try playing tighter but not necessarily " better"
  • CactusCardsCactusCards ArizonaRed Chipper Posts: 137 ✭✭
    edited April 29
    Playing at a stake way too high for your roll is almost universally a bad decision IMO. shot-taking when you’ve had a good session is one thing, but playing bigger as a boredom cure? If it’s more action/gambling you’re looking for go spend some time in the pits.

Edit for clarity: But shit yes - it will cure your boredom tilt! Not something I would personally do, but I gotta imagine that rush is gonna snap you back to attention real quick. So should playing a few $100 blackjack hands, and you can control that outflow better I guess, but to each their own.
  • Michael EMichael E Red Chipper Posts: 122 ✭✭
    NYI80283 wrote: »
    Does playing at a stake that is way too high for you roll serve as a cure for your boredom tilt? I find it helps.

Does gambling cure boredom? of course. Is your goal to not be bored? Are you playing for fun..profit..regularly...once a month?

There are other things you can do for your boredom as well.
    Music. Read (meh). Talk to people. Drink. Play Tournaments. Get a massage. Bet a small amount on the game that is on TV. Do something else entirely.
    edited May 8
    Michael E wrote: »

Does gambling cure boredom? of course. Is your goal to not be bored? Are you playing for fun..profit..regularly...once a month?

There are other things you can do for your boredom as well.
    Music. Read (meh). Talk to people. Drink. Play Tournaments. Get a massage. Bet a small amount on the game that is on TV. Do something else entirely.

The problem is that my play gets just a *little* too sloppy after that 3rd and 4th drink. Beers go down really fast while playing and at a live table, I could easily see myself moving onto the Jack and Cokes after that. Will have to be careful of this. I don't drink much anymore and haven't in a handful of years but ...I most certainly had many a day/night of it in the past. Lately, I've just been drinking beer a few nights a week and yeah ...it definitely doesn't help my game.
  • Doug HullDoug Hull RCP Coach Posts: 1,771 -

Playing way too high will eventually cure all your poker playing problems.

Source: risk of ruin.
    Co-founder Red Chip Poker,
    Author Poker Plays You Can Use
    Author Poker Workbook for Math Geeks
  • SullySully Red Chipper Posts: 773 ✭✭✭
    edited May 9
    I only play poker but from what I hear being on the right side of a long craps roll will cure anybody's boredom, poker or otherwise
  • Steve MSteve M Red Chipper Posts: 39 ✭✭
    When I'm feeling that way, I'll switch from playing 1-2 NLH over to 2-2 PLO for a session. Keeps me more engaged while risking around the same amount of buy-ins (300 Max Buy-In vs 500 Max Buy-in).

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file