how to play middle pair on wet board

ErinningErinning Red Chipper Posts: 32 ✭✭
Hello everyone. It's 1-2 NL. I had $400
There were 5 limpers. SB(200) who is tight playee raised to 15. I got :9c :9h at BB. I just called.
UTG, UTG+1, MP, CO called as well.
The flop was pot: $90
:3s :5s :7d
SB checked, I bet 30 bc preflop raiser checked. She might have AK or AQ. I got overpair. I think I could lead here.
Only UTG called me.
And UTG($330) is calling station. When he called me here, I think he might have flush draw or straight draw.

Turn is pot ($150)
:Jd
I bet $75, he called
Should I just check here? Bc I am not good pair here. And most draw would fold here?
But what if he bet should I call?

The river was $300
:4c
I checked, and he all-in($225)
I better to fold here, only bluff catcher.
He bluffed sometime, but I don't think he used all-in to bluff.
However, i wanna know what's best way to play in multiway pot.
Thank you for your advice

Comments

• LeChiffreLeChiffre NetherlandsRed Chipper Posts: 458 ✭✭✭
    I like the flop bet once SB has checked. However, I would crank it up to the likes of $50 or $60.

On the turn I think you can bet again as I don't think a hand like 76s or A7 is going to fold. I think you found a proper sizing to accomplish that.

On the river I think there's nothing you can do but check and then fold to the jam.

So overall I think the flop sizing could be better but for the rest I think I would have played it the same way.
  • AlpineCurtAlpineCurt Red Chipper Posts: 48 ✭✭
    Is there a case for 3Betting PF? After SB isolates to $15, with 5 limpers behind, calling is guaranteed to go multiway and we'll be between several players. Seems like a difficult spot to navigate with 99.
  • LeChiffreLeChiffre NetherlandsRed Chipper Posts: 458 ✭✭✭
    edited April 29
    Personally I will just setmine here, with the added bonus that if we flop an overpair and SB checks we have another way of making money (like if SB checks and we have an overpair)

3-betting is an option too for sure, and I'm sure there will be some who advocate for this. Should probably get rid of everyone except SB, and if he calls it's not too bad.
  • osirus0830osirus0830 Red Chipper Posts: 62 ✭✭
    In my opinion, the turn was misplayed. Either check the turn, or bet larger to specifically charge draws.
  • Jordan PowerJordan Power Red Chipper Posts: 406 ✭✭✭
    I agree with @LeChiffre I'm not going to 3 bet this. Had the button opened, I would be more inclined to do so but we have:

a) a Villain perceived as playing tight and
    b) a Villain raising from the SB when he might be incentivized to just complete with his more marginal hands.

So, for me, I am going to just call and set mine. Plus that might incentivize others to call behind so that when we do hit, there is more money in the pot and more money to win. My two cents.
  • Doug HullDoug Hull RCP Coach Posts: 1,740 -
    edited April 29
    Erinning wrote: »
    I bet 30 bc preflop raiser checked. She might have AK or AQ. I got overpair. I think I could lead here.

I am fine with the bet, but the reasoning is useless:

"I bet because the pre-flop raiser checked."

That reason applies to every hand in your range. Would you bet
    :QH: :JH:
    here? Your stated reason applies to this hand also.

There are two reasons to bet in hold'em.

1.) Make the pot bigger in case you win.
    2.) To deny equity.

There is no third: "Because they checked."

Which of these two was the real reason you bet?

Co-founder Red Chip Poker,
    Author Poker Plays You Can Use
    Author Poker Workbook for Math Geeks

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file