UTG+2 folds
Hero calls
CO folds
But folds

Turn($80):
:KH:

UTG bets $120

*notes

Nearing the end of a rake free home game, we played an interesting bomb pot.
UTG was the host, a younger man playing a limpy floaty range, showing up with hands like 35o, but can also have the goods.
UTG+1 was new to poker or so it seemed, very passive even with monster holdings.
The flop came and a physical read told me UTG liked the flop. Action arrived he bets, im thinking he's either setting up a turn bluff or he hit a nice draw.
UTG+1 calls which concerns me, the size of the pot might help him to actualize the equity he's been missing out on all night.
No point in raising, I'll be happy simply to get to showdown.
The turns hits somebody in my mind. UTG overbets and I'm not convinced. Why an overbet? Is he that much of a nit with the nuts? Or is he just throwing chips. UTG+1 is tanking for a long time, its a home game so theres no rush but the guy sat there for like 5 minutes and tanked.
This is not a good board for bottom 2, but UTG+1's tanking combined with history of passivity at least rules out some 2nd nuts to me, maybe pockets queens, Qxs, I have blockers to bottom sets and this further affirms UTG is not holding any sets.
That gives UTG a probable range of

JJ+/AJs+/A5s-A2s/KJs+/QTs+/J9s+/ATo+/A5o/KTo+/JTo

Thoughts?

Comments

• osirus0830osirus0830 Red Chipper Posts: 77 ✭✭
    I think that you have to raise the flop. You're basically in this spot because you misplayed the flop. Once the draw completes, just release.
  • blindraiseblindraise Red Chipper Posts: 182 ✭✭
    What will a flop raise accomplish? We're in position on a wet board with a hand that currently has SDV but also has plenty of RIO in a 5 SPR pot.

This is admittedly the first bomb pot I've ever played, I've watched plenty on vlogs but I think I miscalculated my opponents range; I put my initial assumption of his range at the turn in the OP without realizing his starting flop range is ATC. The flop bet of $20 narrows his range but not by much; any Ace of heart, any pair+, any draw, and a stone cold bluff here and there. He is however betting half-pot into 7 people (forgot to inc. SB and BB both folded in OP) on a very wet board, so I cant see this any other way than it being a semibluff.

That said, after some thinking I'm putting UTG's flop range on

22+, A2s+, K9s+, Q2s+, J9s+, T2s+, 98s, 73s-72s, 65s, 32s, A2o+, K9o+, Q2o+, J9o+, T2o+, 98o, 73o-72o, 32o

I threw in some stone cold bluffs but pretty much every pair plus and semi bluff.

UTG+1's range

TT+, 55, ATs+, KJs+, Q8s+, Q5s, J9s+, 98s, ATo+, KJo+, QTo+, Q5o, J9o+, 98o

Pretty much all draws and all value hands.

Against these ranges were looking at 54% equity on the flop, UTG @ 15.2% and UTG+1 @ 30.8%.

That said, all a raise could do is either take down an $80 pot or possibly set us up for suicide (Unless were the only ones to fill up).

If our opponents are drawing OOP and deciding to take the lead, why would we do anything at all to negate that?
  • osirus0830osirus0830 Red Chipper Posts: 77 ✭✭
    edited May 2
    When UTG +1 flats he is essentially saying that he has a draw or a weak made hand that can't survive three streets of betting. You want to raise the flop to:

1. Go after UTG +1's dead money and the money already in the pot
    2. Deny equity to both villains.

By flat calling you told V1 that you don't have a nutted hand so he can just barrel and you will eventually fold.

Being in position is another reason why I like the raise. If the flush draw completes, then villains will likely check to you assuming that they called the flop raise. Being in position potentially buys you a free river card while also denying equity.

Not raising flop was the biggest mistake of this hand. Not raising puts you in bluff catch mode for the rest of the hand with no clue what villain's range actually is.
  • RedRed Red Chipper Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭✭
    osirus0830 wrote: »
    I think that you have to raise the flop. You're basically in this spot because you misplayed the flop. Once the draw completes, just release.

lol, you didn't read the presentation of the game, did you ? XD
    There is no preflop play here.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file