Play For Stacks, Please

In The DarkIn The Dark Red Chipper Posts: 200 ✭✭
1-2 Strip poker at 1AM. Tourist filled game that's about as good as it can be. V is clearly not from a poker playing culture, has bought in three times and lacks basic fundamental understanding of game concepts. He acts out of turn. He does things almost at random. He's bluffed but it's not clear he knew he was bluffing. He tables his hand and his expression tells me he maybe expected to win with bottom pair or 33.

U1 L, V(195) L in mid position and CO L. I'm B(400) with :AD: :KD: and raise to 17. Only V calls and that was my hope.

HU Flop = :AS: :KC: :3C: V donks out for $25. I want to GII in two chunks here or by whatever means possible.

I'd like your thoughts on responding to his Flop bet. I know this is a tough spot since the V is so random but ... please, your ideas.

Comments

• TheGameKatTheGameKat Posts: 2,013 -
    Looks like a raise is going to have to go in at some point. If this character over-values hands, might as well make it on the flop.
    Moderation In Moderation
  • jeffncjeffnc Red Chipper Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Min raise which will get auto called. Puts $135 in pot and leaves villain with about $125 behind. You could bet something like $75 on the turn.
  • Michael EMichael E Red Chipper Posts: 121 ✭✭
    It's an easy spot. Call. Let him bet turn and you can raise there or call again. Call or Jam river. Let him keep randomly bluffing. Even the worst players recognize raises with an ACE on the board. However, the worst players will continue bluffing if you just call.

There is absolutely nothing to be worried about on this hand.
  • TheGrindersCookbookTheGrindersCookbook Merrimack, NHRed Chipper Posts: 68 ✭✭
    If this board was monotone, I would say a flat call is fine. However, even though V is spewy, I like a min raise here, as @jeffnc said. He isn't folding to that after a donk bet. If a club hits this board, or another broadway card, I think it's harder for him to make a call on turn if he checks it over to us. As @Jordan Power likes to say 'let's get the money in now'.

For turn, see what he does, if he bets small, jam. If he bets big, just flat and let him hang himself. I think the only thing you can be scared of here is AX (clubs) which is so unlikely. Also this player doesnt seem to be the 'betting his draws' type.
  • In The DarkIn The Dark Red Chipper Posts: 200 ✭✭
    Thanks for the thoughtful replies.

I chose to raise to 75 after his donk out. He folded.

There were just too many dodgy draws for me to fade by flatting his bet. Looking back on it, they're most all 2, 3 or 4 outers. Maybe the min raise is the best play.
  • Michael EMichael E Red Chipper Posts: 121 ✭✭
    If this board was monotone, I would say a flat call is fine. However, even though V is spewy, I like a min raise here, as @jeffnc said. He isn't folding to that after a donk bet. If a club hits this board, or another broadway card, I think it's harder for him to make a call on turn if he checks it over to us. As @Jordan Power likes to say 'let's get the money in now'.

100% accurate...if you have 33 or KK here. WIth the board crushed, it is very tough for Villain to continue. Better off letting him hang himself on later streets.

We can't always be scared of the flush! Let him bluff it!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file