Question about "determining value" video

JetsweepJetsweep Red Chipper Posts: 12 ✭✭
hey guys been atcing the 1-2 live and I have a question i think about eds determining value video. I am not sure if I understand when and when not according to his vid

In short, he says about maximizing value by going to showdown when when we can. so by potentially not betting out or betting out strongly against other hands as we dont want to bet flop when we hit a dry flop and we know we have best hand or even if its slightly wet. he bring sup good points but I was wondering if you guys could maybe dive a bit firther because feel I shoudl always bet out and try to win the pot thast in front instead of trying to maximize value, i know its opponent dependent as well but im leery of betting smaller or letting some hands go through when I have best hand.

maybe i don tfully grasp this video, help me out

Comments

• JetsweepJetsweep Red Chipper Posts: 12 ✭✭
    I understand we want to think about what opponents with WEAKER MADE HANDS would do against certain actions. im jsut worried about draws and some hands getting there
    also want to know does this go agaisnt trying to build SPR favorable for us?
  • LeChiffreLeChiffre NetherlandsRed Chipper Posts: 642 ✭✭✭
    My main takeaways from this video are:

1) Think about the hands that villain has which you can bet 3 streets for value. If you can't think of any, you don't HAVE to bet the flop if it's static and/or dry.

e.g. If we hold A5 on A73r. It's hard to come up with any hand which will call us for 3 streets that we are ahead of. Since our hand is quite invulnerable, and we are likely going to have the best hand if no more bets go in, we really don't have to bet this flop (even though it could be for value).

e.g. If we hold 55 on AT5. Now we can think of hands like AT and AK which could call us for 3 streets.

2) DON'T worry about what the draws are going to do. I've found this be very eye-opening. They can fold, they can call and miss, call and hit, (they often don't raise at 1/2), but ultimately it doesn't matter. We need to think about which hands are gonna yield us the maximum number of streets of value and target those hands with the proper sizing. The draws will do whatever, it doesn't matter.

Might help answer some of the questions you have.
    LeChiffre wrote: »
    My main takeaways from this video are:

1) Think about the hands that villain has which you can bet 3 streets for value. If you can't think of any, you don't HAVE to bet the flop if it's static and/or dry.

e.g. If we hold A5 on A73r. It's hard to come up with any hand which will call us for 3 streets that we are ahead of. Since our hand is quite invulnerable, and we are likely going to have the best hand if no more bets go in, we really don't have to bet this flop (even though it could be for value).

e.g. If we hold 55 on AT5. Now we can think of hands like AT and AK which could call us for 3 streets.

2) DON'T worry about what the draws are going to do. I've found this be very eye-opening. They can fold, they can call and miss, call and hit, (they often don't raise at 1/2), but ultimately it doesn't matter. We need to think about which hands are gonna yield us the maximum number of streets of value and target those hands with the proper sizing. The draws will do whatever, it doesn't matter.

Might help answer some of the questions you have.

holy shit really good post, thank you
  • AlpineCurtAlpineCurt Red Chipper Posts: 61 ✭✭
    LeChiffre wrote: »

I would like to add to this, and please correct me if my reasoning is flawed here. Getting draws to call when you have a made hand is a great outcome. I want opponents to call with all sorts of draws: weak, nuttish, doesn't matter. Those are weaker hands from which our bets are extracting value, and they usually miss their draw. The more draws they will call with, the more hands I can start betting for value.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file