Toxicity in Pokers online communities

CactusCardsCactusCards ArizonaRed Chipper Posts: 137 ✭✭
Hey All,

Im assuming the ones of us active in the poker Twitterverse have come across the Catrific saga, as well as the great markup debate of 2019- after perusing the responses I wanted to pose the question of why there is so much toxicity in online poker forums/discussions?

Couple points I find to be true, just so we’re on the same page:
- Cat knowingly cheated. No way around that, you can’t feign ignorance in that situation IMO. This wouldn’t be a story if she stayed off YouTube.
- It’s obviously much easier to hide behind a screen and online anonymity thus making it easy to say things you likely wouldn’t in person.
- Red Chip Poker seems to be the most welcoming and helpful forum (as compared to twitter, 2+2, reddit, etc)

Curious to hear others perspectives on why we can’t “all just get along” - I feel like growing poker is dependent on serious players being welcoming to recs both on the table and online to encourage folks to get on the tables more.

Comments

• persuadeopersuadeo Red Chipper, Table Captain Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It is in the nature of people to differ and therefore conflict. When you you see that this is true and necessary, you leave stuff like "why can't we all get along" and other frivolities behind.
  • CactusCardsCactusCards ArizonaRed Chipper Posts: 137 ✭✭
    persuadeo wrote: »
    It is in the nature of people to differ and therefore conflict. When you you see that this is true and necessary, you leave stuff like "why can't we all get along" and other frivolities behind.

I agree - hence the quotes around “why can’t we all get along”. I guess it seems, to an outsider to that poker community, that no one wants to be seen as “wrong” which I just find funny. I see people defending lines, and decisions like it actually matters what other people think.

@persuadeo as someone doing this full time
    I’d imagine you’d rather take the line that’s making you the most money in terms of markup for example. supply and demand and whatnot and f*ck what anyone else thinks is where my mind goes in that debate
  • persuadeopersuadeo Red Chipper, Table Captain Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well i would just say that the market is not only fair, it can reflect incredible nuance that few can forsee. In other words, the same people whining about markup are the same ones watching sports betting lines and Nate Silver religiously.

Basically trust no one and keep your head on a swivel in poker.
  • TheGameKatTheGameKat Posts: 2,142 -
    The primary reason this forum is more congenial than others is that for 36 hours each week @Doug Hull is lead moderator.
    Moderation In Moderation
  • Jordan PowerJordan Power Red Chipper Posts: 429 ✭✭✭
    TheGameKat wrote: »
    The primary reason this forum is more congenial than others is that for 36 hours each week @Doug Hull is lead moderator.

And all of our winning personalities, too, right? :)
  • Doug HullDoug Hull RCP Coach Posts: 1,771 -
    Actually, @TheGameKat does the most moderation.

We have both seen what toxic communities look like and viciously (and with glee) ban trolls, and other bad actors.
    Co-founder Red Chip Poker,
    Author Poker Plays You Can Use
    Author Poker Workbook for Math Geeks
  • CactusCardsCactusCards ArizonaRed Chipper Posts: 137 ✭✭

100% all our winning personalities
  • TheGameKatTheGameKat Posts: 2,142 -

100% all our winning personalities

Ultimately the congeniality of the forum is a result of the subscribers, so on behalf of RCP I congratulate and thank you all.
    Moderation In Moderation
  • NYI80283NYI80283 Red Chipper Posts: 56 ✭✭
    That guy who made the "more rake is better" made enough $ off it to cover the cost of a billboard, and billboards ain't cheap.
  • MrBalzterMrBalzter Red Chipper Posts: 38 ✭✭
    My Pro and core membership is about to expire and I am curious what type of forum access i will have without them? Will I still be able to post as I am now? Will I be able to only post or comment in select discussions? This is the first training site I've been on that I've found a easy to use active forum.
  • Bluffed_AgainBluffed_Again Red Chipper Posts: 91 ✭✭
    The forum is free to everyone, it's not attached to your pro membership. No changes when you don't renew. Just another great Red Chip benefit.
    MrBalzter wrote: »
    My Pro and core membership is about to expire and I am curious what type of forum access i will have without them? Will I still be able to post as I am now? Will I be able to only post or comment in select discussions? This is the first training site I've been on that I've found a easy to use active forum.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file