Defending the big blind

John ValentineJohn Valentine Red Chipper Posts: 44 ✭✭
The WSOP circuit is here in New Orleans. I'm playing in a $135 deep stack tournament this evening. One of the lessons I've been studying says to defend the bb often. My question is how does this affect my early play in the tournament? I should be playing relatively tight at the early stages , correct? Any advice.

Comments

• TheGameKatTheGameKat Posts: 2,140 -
    The WSOP circuit is here in New Orleans. I'm playing in a $135 deep stack tournament this evening. One of the lessons I've been studying says to defend the bb often. My question is how does this affect my early play in the tournament? I should be playing relatively tight at the early stages , correct? Any advice.

The advice to frequently defend you big blind applies a lot more in the post-ante stage, where not only do the antes provide dead money and improve your direct odds, but where open-raises are smaller. Early on you generally see 3x opens and no antes, in which case you don't want to be defending your big blind too often.
    Moderation In Moderation
  • Joseph FJoseph F Red Chipper Posts: 837 ✭✭✭
    edited May 15
    I have very, very little tournament experience. I would assume bb play/strat is considerably different in tournaments compared to $$ games?
  • TheGameKatTheGameKat Posts: 2,140 -
    Joseph F wrote: »
    I have very, very little tournament experience. I would assume bb play/strat is considerably different in tournaments compared to $$ games?

Yeah insofar as you need to adjust for stack depth, antes and typical small opens.
    Moderation In Moderation

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file