Faulty vision of "I'd never play that hand this way so it's never done"

obliviusoblivius San FranciscoRed Chipper Posts: 68 ✭✭
.10NL 6max
This Villain in happens to be 22 RFI from CO..
I barrelled flop with good equity, turn because I had decent equity but primarily because I really believed that V wouldn't x/c 2 streets with TPGK, overpairs, 2p, sets etc. I thought almost certainly he was calling MP or more likely draws. He didn't bet F so once he flats the turn I told myself he never has a Q. It's one of those things where I think (I'd never play this hand like this.....etc.)

CO: 120 BB (VPIP: 28.57, PFR: 22.76, 3Bet Preflop: 9.49, Hands: 426)
his CbFlop OOP stat is only 42 which may be a clue
Hero (BTN): 117.3 BB

Pre Flop: (pot: 1.5 BB) Hero has :8d :9d
fold, CO raises to 3 BB, Hero calls 3 BB, fold, fold

Flop : (7.5 BB, 2 players) :Qh :Td :5d
CO checks, Hero bets 3.6 BB, CO calls 3.6 BB

Turn : (14.7 BB, 2 players) :4h
CO checks, Hero bets 9 BB, CO calls 9 BB

River : (32.7 BB, 2 players) :2s
CO checks, Hero bets 20 BB, CO calls 20 BB

CO shows :Qs :Kd (One Pair, Queens)

Comments

• MrBalzterMrBalzter Red Chipper Posts: 23 ✭✭
    I'm surprised he didn't C bet the Flop as well but good for him for not panicking with flush draw on board. He probably figured any hand you had that beat him (KK+ or AQ,) would have 3 bet pre flop. I find that the 1/2 pot C bet is usually weak and if you had a set it would be 3/4 pot or larger.

Could he have stats on you? Are you normally very aggressive when checked to?
  • obliviusoblivius San FranciscoRed Chipper Posts: 68 ✭✭
    Good question... He's a hybrid/lag reg and i'm still trying to figure him out. I've seen him push around (usually in 3b pot) players with aggression a lot. This hand speaks volumes to me. Before this hand I was looking at his PRE stats v post. Only 400 hands but fairly low CBFlop, ChRaiseFlop, stats and the like. Almost a Loose/aggro/passive pattern. Agreed about the bet sizing. Another thing in the back of my mind is that we've played several hands in the same general positions which he did Cbetflop with air on 2 (sometimes 3) streets, and I've just called down with Top/middle pair. I obviously got stuck in my own head and having zero SD value had to bet river. I had all the wrong blockers too so... live and learn
  • AHallai_3AHallai_3 Sault Ste Marie, MIRed Chipper Posts: 32 ✭✭
    Was this hand against me? Lol seems pretty familiar
  • persuadeopersuadeo Red Chipper, Table Captain Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A protected strategy works magic against monkey bettors.
  • obliviusoblivius San FranciscoRed Chipper Posts: 68 ✭✭
    @persuadeo Can you explain a little more please. I'm not sure if you're saying I should have started checking (which seems good in hindsight) or he was doing the protecting against my monkey bets. Thanks
    @AHallai_3 NOT vs you although I believe we do play at the same site if your name is the same without the underscore_3.. my table name is different on ACR :-)
  • AHallai_3AHallai_3 Sault Ste Marie, MIRed Chipper Posts: 32 ✭✭
    edited May 18
    Oh it is. Probably should have changed that but oh well. @oblivius
  • persuadeopersuadeo Red Chipper, Table Captain Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @oblivius I don't know the frequency in which you take over the betting, but yes, you don't always have bet when checked to, as it falls into the hands of a superior strategy.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file