Sattelites or Cash Games to Win Big Buy Ins.

Michael EMichael E Red Chipper Posts: 122 ✭✭
edited May 17 in General Concepts
Okay, here is the scenario.
I'm bankrolled to play $2/5 with 30 Buy Ins.

I'm not bankrolled to play $1100 tournaments, but I will play $260 Satty's to get in ( I do okay, but sometimes they are a turbo and luckfest)

Basically, I have to win $840 to play the MSPT.

Do I:
A) Play the $260 Sattelite with a turbo structure

or

B) Play $2/5 and if I win $800 or more, buy in to the tournaments with the winnings.
(I'm talking one session tonight....not using my profits overall)

Either way, I'm using the profits from one session to play the Main Event.

Thoughts?

Comments

• BigFarmBigFarm MontrealRed Chipper Posts: 45 ✭✭
    1. The quick answer is whichever you are better at.. cash or satellites.
    2. If you play 2/5 regularly then just do that.
    3. The "correct" bankroll management strategy would be to not play the $1100 at all regardless of your success tonight.
    4. Ultimately you make your own decision if you don't want to manage your bankroll properly.
    5. Your success tonight (cash or satellite) is an arbitrary metric to use for deciding whether to enter the tournament. If you really want to take a shot, just go for it.
  • Michael EMichael E Red Chipper Posts: 122 ✭✭
    BigFarm wrote: »
    1. The quick answer is whichever you are better at.. cash or satellites.
    2. If you play 2/5 regularly then just do that.
    3. The "correct" bankroll management strategy would be to not play the $1100 at all regardless of your success tonight.
    4. Ultimately you make your own decision if you don't want to manage your bankroll properly.
    5. Your success tonight (cash or satellite) is an arbitrary metric to use for deciding whether to enter the tournament. If you really want to take a shot, just go for it.

The Caveat is i'm bankrolled for $2/5 or $150 Tournaments....So playing a $260 Tournament isn't crazy....

I'm just thinking instead of playing the Satty....Using tonight's and tonight's only winnings on the Tournament ....since I'm better at cash than Turbo Satellites anyway
  • TheGameKatTheGameKat Posts: 2,400 -
    I'd really recommend getting good at satellites. Most people aren't, plus if you're prepping to play an $1100 why not warm up with a satty in which you actually employ the skills you'll need in the $1100?
    Moderation In Moderation
  • RedRed Red Chipper Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 19
    Tourneys and cash games, despite sharing cards and rules, know different strategies and meta-game.

Maybe sats to gear up might be better
  • Michael EMichael E Red Chipper Posts: 122 ✭✭
    Red and GameCat...
    Good advice. Gets you into tournament mode.....and, will even play against some of the same players!! Generally, I'm good at the satellites (helps it is top 20%)

I went the route of playing cash and won $55 bucks in a juicy 1/2 game that plays like a big 2/5 game. ($1k stacks)

Then played one whole level in a $50K Gtd.

Poker is fun.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file