OOP thoughts

uglytunauglytuna Red Chipper Posts: 109 ✭✭
OOP. Everyone hates to be OOP position. As a tournament player your chips are precious.

Chips won are worth less than chips lost. Tournament life is so important. Yet aggression wins tournaments. The best of the best can balance aggression whilst not spewing chips.

We know the player who wins pots is the one that takes the initiative and is more aggressive.

I’ve been trying to wrap my head around some OOP GTO strategies, especially defend our BB.

Out of position, we should defend and protect with worthwhile holdings.

I’ve read, heard and research and consensus says we should NOT just call/defend the big blind, better to raise. If it’s good enough to call then raise it. Take the betting lead.

I’ve played enough poker to know that there are no definitive actions in poker.

Can I ask if we defend OOP, should we really be raising and taking away the lead. What guidelines should we follow?

If there are 30-40BB stacks and the CO opens for 2.5BB, should I be 3B with 98s? When called should I CB when I have range advantage?

Typical I will be calling suited connectors in these spots. OOP, my thoughts are to keep the pots small? 3B then CB is bloating a pot but we are keeping the initiative.

I think player types need to be consider here. Sticky players are probably not a good candidate to 3B OOP.

Yet a tight or weak player at 3B makes more sense.

So I ask, should our optimal strategy in the BB to tighten our defending range and 3B or Fold?

Lots of other factors to consider, image, stack sizes and bubble play to name a few.

Thoughts...

-Tuna
Tagged:

Comments

• TheGameKatTheGameKat Posts: 2,066 -
    In June we'll be featuring a lot of material under the general umbrella of "playing from the blinds." Watch this space.
    Moderation In Moderation
  • uglytunauglytuna Red Chipper Posts: 109 ✭✭
    Any thoughts now?
  • TheGameKatTheGameKat Posts: 2,066 -
    It's a pretty vast topic, but I encourage others to leap in.
    Moderation In Moderation
  • CactusCardsCactusCards ArizonaRed Chipper Posts: 121 ✭✭
    I don’t think there will ever be a clear cut answer on this, but if you don’t defend enough you’re exploitable, especially as blinds go up.

I think it depends on the initial raiser as to what our action is. We’re all more likely to defend lighter against a button raise than UTG or MP, but raising or folding exclusively seems like it will bleed chips in the long run - the potential to get 4! OOP seems like a spot id rather not be in most of the time personally.

I have no problem flatting with a range including most suited connectors and continuing on flops that miss most of V’s raising range depending on stack depth, but I’m curious to see what others have to say on this.
  • persuadeopersuadeo Red Chipper, Table Captain Posts: 3,979 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The betting lead is not really a gto conception. Ranges with superior ev have the betting lead very often at equilibrium, instead.
    So why the thought of taking the betting lead OOP when ranges are not superior for the Hero?

With regards to tournaments I prefer to call OOP with a hand within my range that is not superior but rather playable vs the V superior range. Playable hands can crack superior hands.

When I say playable a range that includes suited connectors, medium PP and etc.

If my V has exactly AA, my 98s is much more playable rather then a hand like AJ. Not sure I want to 3B and bloat a pot. Tournament chips are too valuable. Does a passive line make sense?

I do like taking hands in my range such as KJ or AT and raising with them rather calling. Should this part of my range need clarity of raise?

When V is open-raises from BTN, their range may not be superior and maybe 98s should 3B to take the initiative?

I tend to defend too much and call from the blinds when I connect with the flop or have equity. Stickiness, equity realization.
    Sigh

Tuna
  • persuadeopersuadeo Red Chipper, Table Captain Posts: 3,979 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wrt initiative, which is what i was talking about, it can be valuable without being an optimal action. I was trying to separate the ideas, for clarity.
    Thanks Chris !!! Got it. Sometimes talking it out for me the clarity comes through.
  • kenaceskenaces Red Chipper Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭✭
    uglytuna wrote: »
    I’ve read, heard and research and consensus says we should NOT just call/defend the big blind, better to raise. If it’s good enough to call then raise it. Take the betting lead.
    -Tuna

I don't know what you have been reading but this is NOT true unless stacks are very short. If you look at GTO solutions the BB will mix calling/3B on all but the shortest stacks.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file