Maniac Bullying

Maria SchoenenbergerMaria Schoenenberger Red Chipper Posts: 6 ✭✭
edited June 1 in Live Poker Hands
In this hand, I was thinking more about my opponent than my cards. It went like this.

Aria, $2/5
I got to the poker room at 7am. I like playing early to get some of the leftovers from the night before. Sat at the table with a bunch of middle-aged, international guys who had come into town for the WSOP. A German, an Italian, 2 Philippinos, a guy from Brazil, one from China and a kid from the Netherlands that the Philippinos kept calling "Dutch-Boy".

The table was rocking! Lots of big betting ($30-$40 pfr's with 2/3 callers), 3bets on top, straddling, blind raises, etc. The boys were definitely gambling. One of the Philippinos in particular was basically blowing everyone off their hands with huge, post flop raises. He was not afraid to triple barrel bluff and I'd say 80% of the time, he was winning. Then he'd show his bluff/middle pair/busted draw and tilt his opponent.

In games like this, I basically tighten up, play position, and wait for a good hand. It went down like this...

Me ($900), MP
V ($1800), button, same Pilipino as described above

I look down at :Ks :Js , open for $30
Folds to Button who just calls and blinds fold.

Pot=$67

Flop :4s :Kd :Jc

I bet $60
V comes over the top for $200
I think he's got a st8 draw of some kind, A10, Q10, 910, maybe tptk, AK, AJ
I think he's trying to blow me off my hand so I pop it to $500.
He shoves for the rest of my stack.

Did I take his table image and style too seriously this time?

Comments

• LeChiffreLeChiffre NetherlandsRed Chipper Posts: 465 ✭✭✭
    Did I take his table image and style too seriously this time?

No. Get it in.
  • LoveFishLoveFish IllinoisRed Chipper Posts: 92 ✭✭
    Yea don’t think you can ever fold here. If he has a set then so be it.
  • persuadeopersuadeo Red Chipper, Table Captain Posts: 3,979 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why exactly are you potting flop, the only kind of bet the maniac might fold to, when you've never wanted him to start bluffing more? You don't even have to disregard opponent type to realize you are manipulating yourself towards his best hands.

While i'm sure getting it in is desirable, i'm thinking you'll get more out of this post conceptually than a one off cooler. Considering a true maniac can have j4 or k4 or even a gutter, as you say, in this spot, there isn't really much to do here.
  • blindraiseblindraise Red Chipper Posts: 162 ✭✭
    Has your opponent shown any indications that he could ever trap? In other words, would button ever cold call JJ+?

The line he's taking represents 44/K4/KJ if the raise is perceived for value.

But because of his image Id imagine perhaps a range of TT, 44, ATs+, KTs+, QTs+, JTs, T9s, 72s, ATo+, KTo+, QTo+, JTo, T9o, 72o

After card removal, youre looking @ 83.9% equity on the flop; even if you imagine a worst case scenario and include JJ+ in his range youre still @ 82.7%

You know he's capable of triple barreling, its looking like the $ is going in either way,

so yeah play for stacks and if he wants to get it in on the flop thats on him.

One things certain, against this opp. on this board, you cant fold.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file