Awkward PF spot with QQ

In The DarkIn The Dark Red Chipper Posts: 211 ✭✭
1-2 on the Strip last night about 11pm with a full table.

Villain is new to the table within about 1 orbit. I've never seen him before and I'm in this room every day. The Floor asks him if he'd like to start a higher limit game 5 handed and he says "Yes". He's straddled once after a full ($300) buy in on the button and I think he took down one pot with a flop bet but I was out of my seat during that hand. He's giving me all the signs of an action player. He's a 40yo white male, the main cohort that pays my way.

It folds to HJ and he limps (a passive tourist with $200). V ($320) is CO and raises to $15. B and SB fold and it's on me in BB with red queens and I cover all.

I'm thinking that with a favorable flop I should be able to get action even when OOP here after flatting the $15. I could also raise to $50-60 and be almost certain to play HU vs this action player with what I'm assuming is a largish range, maybe 25%.

I'm still not sure which is better. With a 3! pot we'll be at a SPR of 2 and it's a difficult spot with A or K high flops when OOP against a player that might not know it's 'my flop'.

Thanks for any ideas here.

Comments

• osirus0830osirus0830 Red Chipper Posts: 77 ✭✭
    I would 3 bet for a few general reasons:

1. Range protection: If I'm including any hands other than KK+ in my 3 betting range then QQ is a good candidate for a value 3 betting hand imo.
    2. Ensure that flop is likely heads up. I don't want weak passive villain in my pot.
    3. Potentially take down the pot with the 3 bet.
  • Paul_KPaul_K DFWRed Chipper Posts: 327 ✭✭✭
    @In The Dark ... what a great time to be in Vegas! Hope you have a blast. I'm so jealous... I'll be there the last week of June, but the first week is just so much more fun. By the end of the month... lots of poker zombies with nothing left but broken dreams wandering aimlessly through the town. Oh well...

I think anything but a large 3b here is FPS. I'm not sure 150 bb is quite deep enough to consider flatting. You have aggro V, you're OOP, and there's another player you can't quite rule out. Stacks are still shallow enough that you're 3b range absolutely wants a small SPR.

V's iso range consists of a large % of implied odds hands that favor a large SPR. So by flatting, you are doing him a huge favor by allowing him playability post with that part of his range rather than having to make a preflop decision/mistake with it.

At these games, I feel that trapping an aggro player with a premium hand is better served when you are the one facing the 3b.
  • kenaceskenaces Red Chipper Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭✭
    You have the 3rd best starting hand = easy 3B spot
  • BTUBTU Red Chipper Posts: 4 ✭✭
    I like 3 betting here to $50. If you project his VPIP is 25%, that is a TON of hands that you are ahead of. If he folds, you win the pot. If he flats, you are almost undoubtedly ahead. If he 4-bets, it does put you in a tough spot, but how often are people 4-betting with anything worse than AK at 1-2 in your area? I play in the Midwest and here it almost never happens.

Assuming a call, I like a check shove on the flop, assuming no ace. It will look like a with a juicy $100 pot, the player you just described likely will want to take a stab at it, given that he has position.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file