2/3 spread line check, am I missing something?

CactusCardsCactusCards ArizonaRed Chipper Posts: 139 ✭✭
2/3 spread in AZ
Hero is effective at $500 playing somewhat laggy.

V - cutoff. Reg that plays fairly tight, doesn’t seem to get out of line a ton and generally seems like a thinking player.

MP limps, V raises to 15 in CO. Hero on BTN with AJcc 3! To 45, MP folds, V flats.

Flop (90) 2♥️7♣️3♠️

V donks out for $60

Hero calls.

In my mind this is a pretty easy call getting 2.5:1 with ~40% equity. I had V on 66-JJ, A5s+ although we block some of that.

After the hand I caught some shit from the table on how I played the hand, and I can’t see how calling is wrong here..please help me out if I’m missing something.

- Turn ($210) comes A♦️ and V checks to me, and I bet $100 and he tank/calls.

River ($410) 9♠️ V checks, At this point I put him on TT or JJ. 99 could be in his range but I think he leads here for value. I bet $125 and get a crying call and a Hellmuth-esqe flipout on how I can call the flop with “nothing”. He shows TT.

Backdoor flush/straight and 2 overs, I’m calling most reasonable sizes here on the flop - I can’t imagine I’m off base here, but would love any opinions on how to play this differently?

Comments

• RyanH1995RyanH1995 Red Chipper Posts: 48 ✭✭
    If you think villain is capable of doing this with a hand like 66, 99 or TT and will slow down if overcards come I think floating is ok. You have 6 outs to make what would most likely be the best hand but any J Q K or A hits your range harder and may give you the opportunity to bluff villain off his small/medium pocket pair. You said villain seems tight and wasn't getting out of line but if you think he is capable of donking with a hand like KQ with a BDFD then I think you become even more incentivized to float a flop like this. I think by donking out here villain caps his range and a hand like TT is probably one of the best he will show up with here. I think my thought process would have been similar to yours in this spot and think you played the hand well. Just my opinion but would like to hear others thoughts on this as well.
  • Paul_KPaul_K DFWRed Chipper Posts: 327 ✭✭✭
    What the hell? Are you some idiot from eastern Europe?

Honey! He called me with AJ!!!!
  • Paul_KPaul_K DFWRed Chipper Posts: 327 ✭✭✭
    So V leads into an uncapped range. Then c/c's a turn that smashes that range. And the table is giving you shit? You, sir, have found paradise.
  • SplitSuitSplitSuit RCP Coach Posts: 4,030 -
    You can probably get a little more value on the river ($150 or $165) - but shy of that, postflop looks fine to me.

FWIW, don't ever take table criticism seriously. The average player loses money in this game, and a gaggle of birds chirping doesn't mean they know what's best (even if they are in agreement).
  • EvilKermitEvilKermit Red Chipper Posts: 2 ✭✭
    It’s interesting that you bring up this spot. I’ve seen it both online and live (at Talking Stick) several times recently. Always with TT or JJ. Not the small see where I’m at small bet but 2/3-3/4 pot bets. I was talking with someone else last night also about this exact line. Seems to be a thing recently.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file