Trip Aces on River

Maria SchoenenbergerMaria Schoenenberger Red Chipper Posts: 6 ✭✭
Aria $5/10. Game has been running for about an hour. I'm taking a shot and have been playing very tight. Player on my left is also playing very tight, solid, fundamental poker and knows I'm taking a shot at this bigger game.

Villian-Button-$3000
Me-CO-$1700

Action folds to me in CO. I raise $40 with As8s.
Button 3bets to $140. Blinds fold.
I feel like he might be trying to bully me with A10+, any middle pair, maybe suited connectors. He know I'm playing very conservative. I decide to see flop. I call

Flop Ah, 3s, 10s (pot $295)

Now I take all aces out of his range since I have an A and there's one on the board. I flop TP with nut flush draw.

I check, he bets $240. I call.

Turn 7d (pot $775)
I checks, Button bets $460. I call.

River Ac. I river trips, board pairs.

Action?

Comments

• NinjahNinjah Red Chipper Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭✭
    I really like the call on the flop here. A lot of people tend to mash it when they have TP+NFD. However, I think it's a very dangerous assumption to eliminate all Ax hands from his range when there are still two Aces in the deck. He can have 2 combos of A3s, 2 ATs, 8 of AJo, AQo, and AKo as well as 3 combos of TT for a total of 31 combos that have you beat. That's a ton of combos for a 3b pot in which ranges are already narrowed.

When he doesn't slow down on a brick turn, he's trying to rep an big Ace or better and since you have one of your worst Ax hands here once we get to the river, I see no choice but to check call as the leverage point was met on the turn. This will keep his limited bluffs in play and allow your hand to continue to play the role of bluff catcher. Just expect to lose here often. What bluffs do you think he has that will triple barrel?
  • RyanH1995RyanH1995 Red Chipper Posts: 58 ✭✭
    The Ace seems like a pretty bad card for villain to bluff the river on as I think most of the range you call two streets with will be Ax. I don't think he has many bluffs here but I think some possible ones are QKss, QJss, 89ss. It doesn't make sense to bluff the river with missed spade draws as that is a big part of the range he wants you to fold. I also doubt he would double barrel with QKhh or QJhh as he doesn't pick up equity and you have a very tight image. I agree with @Ninjah and would expect to get shown a boat or better ace here a lot of the time.
  • RedRed Red Chipper Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭✭
    As I've given five 5/10$ shot at the Aria these last days, I can understand your struggle.
    I think your biggest issue here is preflop.

I'm ok to open with A8s.

Once we are 3bet, it's important to assess how to respond. I've witness players being between rather snug and pretty light. If your Villain is on the tight-ish side, and maybe a mid-stakes pro, I think it's ok to open/fold A8s even if it could open you to be abused.

Fact is you're going to be OOP with a marginal AX hand. So against somehow tight, you don't do well against his range, let alone that you're OOP.

If Villain was light / 3bet frequently, I'm ok to flat often/always. But this also means to fight for the pot.
    On the flop, A8s is probably you worst AX (so you can't counter hard value, yet ok against light value/bluff catcher) and a strong draw. x/c flop and turn seems a mistake as you allow V to play rather perfectly and you've to pay to see the next street; unsure if your A is good and might not be able to value bet if your FD hit.

Thus, I think A8s is ok to either x/c flop and x/f turn or x/r flop. If we are never going to be aggro, I don't see the point of calling with A8s considering we will be behind almost all AX V could hold and will be force to get value owned when behind without the opportunity to value bet if ahead.
  • persuadeopersuadeo Red Chipper, Table Captain Posts: 4,171 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 14
    There is one way to effectively lead: You can consider blocking the river, as not only do you beat some aces (rarely), you may try to have a few missed flushes, while garnering some hero calls from some pairs that had turned into bluffs and see the price. Leading polarized, as others have stated, doesn't make a lot of sense, and in general you'll be checking a lot here.
  • In The DarkIn The Dark Red Chipper Posts: 216 ✭✭
    I feel like he might be trying to bully me with A10+, any middle pair, maybe suited connectors. He know I'm playing very conservative.

I too get this feeling of something beyond actual hand values driving my opponent's actions and am often reminded that I was mistaken. They really had what I feared.

• jeffncjeffnc Red Chipper Posts: 4,815 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Now I take all aces out of his range since I have an A and there's one on the board.

Now why on earth would you say something like this? According to this logic, it would be impossible to flop a set, and there would be no such thing as a "kicker".

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file