poker online: multitabling useful ?

cibirskcibirsk Red Chipper Posts: 9 ✭✭
edited June 15 in General Concepts
Hi,
Currently I'm playing on NL2. Do you think that playing a lot of hand will level up my poker skills ?
Or is it better focus on one table and try NL5 when I feel better ?

I don't care making money. I want to improve my poker habilities but I don't know the way.

Comments

• TheGameKatTheGameKat Posts: 2,124 -
    One reason some "internet kids" got so good at poker in a short span of time was because they played in a year the number of hands that Doyle Brunson had played in a lifetime. Volume is a great asset. That said, for learning purposes, multitabling is only useful if you can use a stats tracker and build a database.

On the other hand, many people find when they're starting out that multitabling leads to clicking buttons with less thought. At some level it likely depends on experience and how you process information.

It's commendable that you place your poker education above making money, but when it comes down to it, many (not all) poker skills are only valuable because they allow you to make money playing poker.
    Moderation In Moderation
  • jeffncjeffnc Red Chipper Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 18
    You've heard of "quantity vs. quality". There is a quote: "Quantity has a quality of its own." As The GameKat said.

If you own, and are allowed to use on your poker site, a HUD and gametracking database, and understand how to use it, then playing many tables is a benefit. Otherwise, it's very difficult to play well and learn how to play well on more than 1 or maybe 2 tables at a time.
  • The MuleThe Mule Red Chipper Posts: 781 ✭✭✭
    @cibirsk , you will learn much faster single tabling, and will be much less likely to pick up bad habits.

As a beginner, it is much more important that you take your time and think through each hand in as much detail as you are allowed, to move from "conscious incompetence" to "conscious competence".

Multitabling can be more useful for experienced players who have developed significant unconscious competence, where their strategy is more defined and a greater number of hands are necessary to practice specific spots. (Although I think most people just do it for the higher win rate).

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file