Villains 3 Betting Me For Stacks PF to Counter My Aggression

BigDaddyBigDaddy Red Chipper Posts: 22 ✭✭
I could post a hand, but this has been happening multiple times each session now that I’m going to get right to the topic.
Over the last six weeks I have studied and implemented many of the @SplitSuit , Ed Miller, et. all RCP concepts and am very happy with the results. Clearly, the most notable change is my PF aggression. While I am not nearly as aggressive as Miller recommended in The Course, I am now usually the most aggressive player at the $1-2 games I play. Literally overnight I have turned into Public Enemy #1, as the entire table now seems to be after That Guy That’s Always Raising, although I’m still folding 75% of my buttons PF in unraised hands.
One situation that is arising on a regular basis now is players either min raising or limping PF, waiting for me to raise from LP, and then blasting me with a huge 3 bets that scream big pair. I’m talking 3 bets to 75 and/or shoves. The table seems to be adapting to my aggression and playing Mr. Sneaky Man to take advantage. In a couple of cases, they came at me when I had a monster, and I took their stacks. In other cases I folded PF and villain had to play their big pair six handed against a bunch of limpers.
I assume other Red Chippers are facing the same issue. How do you adapt? Should you adapt? Are these players doing me a big favor by telling me PF I’m beat and obliterating future streets of value for themselves? Am I going to have to look up some of these players just to see what they are doing this with when I have less than a premium hand?

Comments

• SplitSuitSplitSuit RCP Coach Posts: 4,011 -
    Questions you should answer:

1. The hands where they limp/re-raised (LRR) you and you stacked them, what hands were they showing?
    2. Keeping the answer to #1 in mind, is it more likely they are LRR to counter your aggression (so LRR with many bluffs to take advantage of how often you will raise and then fold to the LRR), or that they are LRR with monster hands (not really exploiting you unless you start spewing)?
    3. How often is this really happening? 1-2x/session? Or 5x+/session?
    4. Are they modifying their limping range to both a.) include more monsters and also b.) removing marginal hands that they don't want to limp/call with?

That should help you frame this a bit better =)
  • BigDaddyBigDaddy Red Chipper Posts: 22 ✭✭
    …Speaking of @SplitSuit Workbook Hand #7….

1. Villains are not showing lots of hands no matter who wins. One villain showed QQ when I had KK. Another really bad villain to my right who straddled and I raised made a speech to the table how he was sick of me raising all the time and shoved his last $100 in and proudly turned over 77. I had AA and the speech was cut short.
    2. I have not had a lot of these huge LRR/shove hands go to the river. I had QQ on the btn once, raised to 25 after UTG raised to 6 with 1 caller. UTG 3 bet to 75 so fast he looked like a kid at Christmas that just received his complete holiday gift list. He shoved blind after I called. An A was on the flop, and I didn’t think I was good enough times to continue. Had the flop bricked I think I would have called, as it took AK out of the mix. One 75 year old gent UTG who had been playing for an hour without raising limped, as did others, and I made it 20 with 66. Pops quietly 3 bet to 75 and I folded. In a third situation, in a limped pot I raised on the btn with ATo, and MP shoved about $150. I folded, and he showed me one A.

3. 1-2x per session that I know of. Could be more, but after I fold the complexion of the hand completely changes, as sneaky villain is now playing multiway in an unraised pot.

4. I think they are playing fewer hands, throwing away hands they would normally play, especially with the high hand available. I catch a lot of grief raising players who are trying to limp and hit the high hand. Min qualifying hand is AAA22, and jackpot varies from $500-1000, so everyone wants to see a flop.

• RoblivionRoblivion WisconsinRed Chipper Posts: 288 ✭✭✭
    If they're 3-betting you that large, great. Unless you opening size is overly large, you really don't need to defend very often. Just wait for a good spot to either jam over the top or call and play with them. Of course, if they're doing it a ton you can open up your jamming range further and just accept their dead money.
  • Doug HullDoug Hull RCP Coach Posts: 1,771 -
    I have seen this with a frequency that dictates QQ+ and maybe AK.

This is wonderful!

They get the good feeling for "fighting the bully" and you get an easy fold where they could have played well and actually made some money from you.

Everyone wins.
    Co-founder Red Chip Poker,
    Author Poker Plays You Can Use
    Author Poker Workbook for Math Geeks
  • persuadeopersuadeo Red Chipper, Table Captain Posts: 4,008 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • BigDaddyBigDaddy Red Chipper Posts: 22 ✭✭
    My question is how should I counter, if at all. Are villains doing me a favor by playing in this manner? Maybe mix up my raises in LP if I have been raising a lot and occasionally limp to see a flop with my PP or SC instead of being blown out of the hand by the massive 3 bet? I have to assume this happens to other RCP’ers and I was wondering how they handle it.
  • persuadeopersuadeo Red Chipper, Table Captain Posts: 4,008 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, they are doing you a favor and you are already managing it well.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file