Full House over Full House Cooler. Advice?

PsydwinderPsydwinder Red Chipper Posts: 20 ✭✭
Hello everyone. I am currently playing on America's Cardroom. I usually play $5 NL but decided to take a shot at $.25/$.50 as I feel I have been playing well and my roll could sustain one lost buy-in.

The game had been going well as I got several bluffs through and had won a big pot earlier with a set of deuces. I did get called when I was trying to get a blocker bluff through so the other players at the table probably knew I was capable of bluffing some of the time and were willing to call some of my larger bets. All of my hands I showed down with represented a strong range. My table image was a competent player (I think) as I varied my raise sizes and really focused on utilizing the Folding Frequency formula for this session. About one hour into the session I am sitting in the Small Blind with 4c4d and $80.85 behind.

UTG-UTG+2 fold and villian raises to $1 (2BB) from the Lo-Jack with $66.89 behind. It folds to me and I call. I considered 3-betting, but I would be out of position Post-Flop against the Pre-Flop aggressor who I did not have too much information on. My perception of villain was a tight player as I do not recall seeing him show down any hands and he had been relatively silent. I decide to flat call $1 especially because the strongest hands at this table were getting opened for $1.50 pretty much universally. 2 big blinds told me either a decent hand or a very strong one looking to trap.

Flop comes 6c 6s 4s. I am first to act on the Flop and I just flopped a Full House. I was ready to take it to the felt as I felt I could extract a ton of value from a Flush draw. I decide to try and induce a raise from Villain and donk out a min-bet of $.50. Villain does raise to $1.50 and I re-raise to $5. Back to Pre-Flop, since it folded to Villain while he was sitting in MP my line of thinking was that he took the opportunity to open a suited Ax hand that he would have folded to an Under the Gun raise. His raise on the Flop was 3x my original bet but it didn't necessarily scream "I have a 6" to me. Instead I felt like he thought I was taking a stab with a measly 4 or a hand unconnected to the Flop. Most of all I think that in the moment I was putting myself in his shoes and I would raise such a weak bet with an Ace high flush draw without committing a sizable portion of my stack to the pot without a made Flush. Villain calls my raise to $5.

The Turn comes a 7d. I lead out $6.25 into the $11.88 pot. Villain raises again to $14 and I call. Now that he was raising again I was considering that he had an overpair. All players at this table were double-barreling so I also did not throw out the possibility that Villain was bluffing me with 89s,9 10s, or 78s. His raise did alarm me however as now pocket 6's are a real possibilty for him to have.

The River comes 8s. I thought to myself how perfect the situation is for Villian if he has a Flush seeing as he has been raising on the come and has finally hit. Or maybe he has the As and 6 of of hearts or diamonds and is ready to stack off with his trips. An honest side note, I could not decidedly put Villain on a hand. My thoughts were racing and I was anxious because I had a very strong hand that I could not fold, but getting my Full House crushed by Quads was a possibilty (I have been working on not fearing monsters and jumping to the worst case scenario). I make a slight overbet of $40.50 into the $38.48 pot and Villain shoves the rest of his stack in for $46.89 and I make the call. Villain turns over 7h7c and wins the pot with the better Full House.

ACR allows you to watch the hands from your hand history like film and I have watched the hand several times now and I can't come up with a clear lesson learned or what I was missing in the hand. His raise on the Flop screamed to me A6,Q6,K6, or maybe J6 but also Ax of Spades. I would raise 77 from the Lo-Jack as well especially when folded to, but during the hand I couldn't even think of pocket 7's or 7,6 being in his range after the Flop raise from Villain. I know my min-donk-bet was weird but it did accomplish what I wanted it to and I got Villain to raise my bet. But what should I have done differently? A 3bet Pre Flop didn't make sense to me. I felt as though I had to call his raise on the Turn (Where maybe I could have made a pot sized bet to try and represent quads) and I obviously was committed by the River.

I would appreciate any advice or tips as I feel as though this hand can be a pretty good lesson learned. It just isn't as cut and dry as most hands in my hand history.

Thanks!

Comments

• RyanH1995RyanH1995 Red Chipper Posts: 58 ✭✭
    edited June 23
    I would fold pre. You are OOP and have a hand that will be difficult to play on most flops. Your hand is too weak to 3bet and you are facing a tight opponent. When villain shoves over your pot sized river bet as much as it sucks I think you have to fold. On a paired board with the flush draw completing what worse hands is he doing this with? I don't think villain is semi bluffing on the turn after you 3bet him on the flop and bet into him again on the turn. It would make no sense for him to try to build the pot with the nut flush draw when he may already be drawing dead. I think you could have avoided the situation by folding pre but as played I think your river overbet after getting raised on the turn is also a pretty big mistake. If you could include stack sizes on every street and separate the action from your thought process it would also make the hand much easier to follow.
  • RedRed Red Chipper Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭✭
    Flop comes 6c 6s 4s. I am first to act on the Flop and I just flopped a Full House. I was ready to take it to the felt as I felt I could extract a ton of value from a Flush draw. I decide to try and induce a raise from Villain and donk out a min-bet of $.50. Villain does raise to $1.50 and I re-raise to $5.

Why ?
  • PsydwinderPsydwinder Red Chipper Posts: 20 ✭✭
    edited June 23
    To build the pot.
    I apologize about the thought process thing. I guess I should have folded pre. Regardless of the raise size I should focus more on where the raise came from. Is that why you’re saying its a fold pre flop? Position of the aggressor?
  • RyanH1995RyanH1995 Red Chipper Posts: 58 ✭✭
    I think it's a fold pre more because of your position pre flop. You're in the small blind with a weak pair against a villain you said is pretty tight and has not been raising much/getting out of line. I would try to avoid flatting from the small blind as much as possible because we are going to be at a positional disadvantage. Also if the big blind is a competent player he can pick up you have a marginal hand here and squeeze with a pretty wide range.
    Thanks for the input. I’m going to have to work on play from the blinds. Especially the small blind which is the most costly position for me right now.
    To build the pot.

This is a insufficient answer - and the source of you being stacked
    Red wrote: »
    To build the pot.

This is a insufficient answer - and the source of you being stacked

Well to go deeper into my reasoning, someone that fits Villain’s profile wouldn’t have raised with 6,4 from the Lo-Jack so at that point I likely had the best hand. While pocket 6’s would be a viable option for him I didn’t think someone as tight as he was would be raising anything but 99+ from that position. Also a min-bet looks like a probe bet. It was a bet that I wanted to convey a lot of weakness so that he would raise me while I had the Full House. Knowing what I know about the hand now, maybe it would have crossed his mind that I held the quads after a snap raise on that type of flop. And to be fair on the Flop I did have the best hand. He had two outs with his pocket 7’s and happened to hit one on the turn. Sure, maybe I should have folded Pre, but I hit the flop hard with a Full House. So I wanted the pot to be big for all the times that I was right about Villain having a flush draw or just trip 6’s. I didn’t read his hand or range correctly but I had 83% equity on the Flop so my pocket 4’s were initially a home run. On my equity calculator Villain’s hand shows to only hit a Full House about 16% of the time.
    You've given reason about why you donkbet, now why you 3bet the flop.
    Like: what is your flop 3bet range? the expected reaction of V ? With what does he give you action? How do you plan turn and river when you 3bet instead of flat? Etc.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file