How to Play this Home Game? I am getting Frustrated, Should i quit poker?

AceBalaAceBala Red Chipper Posts: 17 ✭✭

I have been playing this home game. The SB and BB are .50 and $1. Buy in is $60 to start and No cap for re-buyin. Usually, we will play for good 6-7 hrs. If you see after 3 hours, Most of them would have bought for 200 and have chips atleast $150+ , Some will be playing with very short stack like $40.

Everyone will be limping in with almost with any suited hands and Broadway ( Even the strong hands AA, AK also limps in most of the time by some players). People are playing for set mining and also checking the top pair to trap people.

The elimination bet in here during the beginning of the game is $10+ or else everyone will jump into the pot. The same becomes $30+ during the end game. If I bet 6 during the initial period, It will be a limp fest. The same will happen towards the end of the game with $10 bet. There will be an open raise but very less(maybe 3-4) 3 bet and never a 4 bet. The pots are usually 3 way or 4 way. Heads up are very minimal regardless of the bet. Bluff rarely works, There is always some or the other will be calling you.

As i play less than 30% of hands, I play strongly, Am I? I open raise with core's Tight chart and only 3 bets with AA, KK and QQ, I never go 3 bets with AK as I will have to commit to almost 1/3 of my pot . I limp in with Mid or High Suited connectors and small pairs.

I am mostly beaten by a 2 pair of a drawing flush/straight. I always felt short stacked, I am frustrated waiting to get a monster hand. Playing the waiting game and seeing people open with any suited hands, I start showing that as aggression ( Maybe its what tilt is) with my overpair going all in to make the other fold but get busted.

I know there is a lot, But I'm getting beaten game after game. I love this game and I want to improve this but not sure whatever offline work I am doing is helping me. I have gone through Core Level 2 twice and doing level 2. Also implementing the learning is hard, some time at the heat of the moment i do a lot of mistakes as calling over the pot odds. Neven putting an opponent in a range and just playing with my hands ( when i have premium hands). I am aware of the wet and dry board all the time but don't give thought to the bet sizing for Set mine cards are drawing flushes.

There is one player who beets this game consistently, Some of his big wins came from Hands he called Pre-flop raised pot with :2C: :4C: and hitting Flush. Pair of 5 even after a heavy bet in preflop and turn and hitting set in turn. He always bets more than pot size when he hit a set or a flush or a strong draw. he never loses big but makes money mostly

I categorize the above player as Loose Aggressive and a maniac player who has good awareness of Board textures. I am completely out of clue when i play against him.Even if i hit my top pair with good Kicker Like AJ and hit my A.. His over bet make me think he has a 2 pair/set /of a flush draw and i fold. Not sure how to crack this and what should be my best strategy to win on the long run against this player.

Also what should be my best strategy in this type of game?

Comments

• BubbleboyBubbleboy Red Chipper Posts: 21 ✭✭
    I know your problem, i have the same type of live game. I think the way to beat it, is finding your spots. Know that they are going to call you. So maybe dont open medium pairs and stuff like that because those suck in a multiway pot if you dont hit your set.

When you do hit, go for value. They will make a ton of calling mistakes. Value bet hard, make them pay for it. When you have shown your hand and they realize that a big bet from you is mostly for value, you can use the same betsizing as a bluff once in a while, although i wouldnt recommend bluffing against these guys too often.

Against villain you described. Those LAGs can be really difficult, but he will probably make a lot of betting mistakes, so let him do the betting for you. Try to sit on his left so you have position on him and catch him.
  • RedRed Red Chipper Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭✭
    For what I read, I think you play too loose and too sticky, and you might have a lack of hand reading / board texture analysis skills. You might (very conditional) play too easily OOP - Don't forget that position is king.

Some more specifics comments
    AceBala wrote: »
    The elimination bet in here during the beginning of the game is $10+ or else everyone will jump into the pot. The same becomes $30+ during the end game.
    "elimination bet" is called "pain

In your situation, you can either size up to hit their pain threshold. Don't forget that bet sizing = range ; so a bigger bet means a stronger range.
    Or, if they don't have any pain theeshold or if it's stupidly too high (like 30$ in a 0.5/1$ game aka 30bb), then you shall size down and take the game postflop. As the SPR get bigger, marginal hands like low PP, suited connectors/gapers, AXs increase of value.
    I am mostly beaten by a 2 pair of a drawing flush/straight.
    Maybe you're a calling station? Continuing way too light / allowing Villain to hit for way too cheap when you're ahead ?
    As i play less than 30% of hands, I play strongly,
    30% (from EP/MP) is a loose range. If you want to play tight, you gonna aim a ~12% range and only loosen up from CO.

This is especially important when you play short stack (not only you, but if the eff. stack is short) and your home games start with only ~60bb deep and some will have 40bb. Someone with 40bb deep will easily jam preflop or on the flop, putting you in a high variance play if you have a loose range.
    and only 3 bets with AA, KK and QQ, I never go 3 bets with AK as I will have to commit to almost 1/3 of my pot
    Your 3bet range is way too narrow, esp. if the open-raiser want to continue with a wide range. I think you can go with a merged range like TT+, AJs+, AQ+, KQs . If they aren't prone to give much action to a 3bet, then you shall move from a widened merged range to a pole range (which profits from nice FE)

Then 3bet size will mater too.
    There is one player who beets this game consistently, Some of his big wins came from Hands he called Pre-flop raised pot with :2C: :4C: and hitting Flush. Pair of 5 even after a heavy bet in preflop and turn and hitting set in turn. He always bets more than pot size when he hit a set or a flush or a strong draw. he never loses big but makes money mostly
    I got one of these in my home game as well. He was hitting any thing, even during all-in with backdoor gutshot (!). There was a move call "doing a Marco" (his name) as going all-in preflop or on the flop with a super weak hand and still winning.
    Yet this play style only relies on luck. After 3 years of running good, luck turned. And he is now the biggest loser in the home games - winning only against new comers as they aren't used to his maniacal aggressive style.

Once you realize how unlikely it is to hit a set / flush, you shall not be afraid to go against him with a merged range.
    Beware: hand reading and analysis of board texture are style critical ; don't go light in any situation
  • John ValentineJohn Valentine Red Chipper Posts: 44 ✭✭
    Having trouble with your home game. Remember a home game will always have a lot of lag players. These people have come to play. They are not folding anything suited. Their ranges are very wide. Adjust your play and pick your spots, but remember these type of games don't like a real tight player. You have to give action in order to get action.
    Now about your Villian who seems to be catching everything. He really isn't. Sure some nights it seems that he can do no wrong. Does he adjust his play when the cards stop coming for him? He misses his flushes and straights. Suddenly no sets. Watch and wait for it. With position and solid play you'll win his chips.
    Just try to relax and enjoy the game with your friends. Have fun.
  • AceBalaAceBala Red Chipper Posts: 17 ✭✭
    @John Valentine Thanks for your response. As @Red also mentioned, I have changed to 1)play wider with position 2) Play limited with oop 3) Takin the game postflop as there is no pain threshold 4) And i am not being sticky. This is what i am trying to do any other suggestion from you to "Adjust" My game or "Finding the spots"?
  • persuadeopersuadeo Red Chipper, Table Captain Posts: 4,001 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2
    The answer lies in a few things:
    Solid range construction
    Understanding of bet sizing
    Handreading

The list could go on, but really, you just need to change your attitude. You are playing in a small stakes paradise, where for cheeseburger stakes you can learn the game and learn to think strategically about familiar players while having a fun time.

Look at how defensive your current thinking is, raising massive with a face up range. Learn to mingle and take risks and fight for the pot. Your goal should be to be proud of your decisions, not taking a few cheeseburgers home. That will come.
  • Jordan PowerJordan Power Red Chipper Posts: 429 ✭✭✭
    Persuadeo is right. Also:

vn2bk5ng8ng8.png

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file