Too hard on Myself? Rio Daily Deepstack

Adam BAdam B Red Chipper Posts: 9 ✭✭
Rio Daily Deepstacks
$250 Buy-in
Blinds 100-300-300bb ante
Hero is the effective stack @ 27500
Villain has roughly 34K

Villain UTG opens to 900
Player has been at my table the whole tournement. Seems pretty straight forward. Hasn't 3 bet light, nor made any particularly interesting/standout plays.

Hero in SB :Kd :Ks 3 bets to 3200
Villain Takes a couple seconds and calls.

Typically, with a UTG raise..... We can usually put villain on a fairly strong range (obv). Especially a player who hasn't particularly been in Too many hands, Been overly aggressive, or appeared to be "overly gambley".

POT: 7100

Flop:

:Kc :Qh :7d

Hero leads out from the SB 3400
Villain thinks for 20 seconds or so (felt like a long time) and Calls

POT: 13800

Turn: :5d

Hero lead out again 7900
What is Villain likely to have here? QQ? 10J?AJ? w/ back door outs from flop? AK? 77?

What do you think about my bet size here?

Villain : Tank Calls

POT: 29700

Hero has 13000 behind

River: :2d

I double check my cards to verify that I have the KING OF DIAMONDS.

At this point... I shove all in. With me having the diamond, it gives my opponent less combos of potiential flushes. We have top set and can't fathom a check fold given the amount of money that is in the pot.

BUT HERE IS MY QUESTION:

Wouldn't it have been a better play to check? I can catch any bluffs that my opponent has! I can also call off the rest of my stack and be up against hands that I have beat. If my opponent has hit his runner runner flush, then so be it. Is there an arguement that a CHECK is the better play VS the River Shove???

Comments

• TheGameKatTheGameKat Posts: 2,640 -
    The way I look at these spots is: if I check, will my opponent check back hands that would have called a bet? The action hasn't suggested V is bluffing and I can't see folding to a bet if you check, so I think betting is fine.
    Moderation In Moderation
  • persuadeopersuadeo Red Chipper, Table Captain Posts: 4,171 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You haven't left enough behind to allow for many bluffs at all.
  • Adam BAdam B Red Chipper Posts: 9 ✭✭
    We would still have 43 BB left (starting stack 20k) I realize that we have an absurd amount of chips already in the pot, but 43 BB is a fair amount. If is a re-entry and attracts some players that may try to pull the trigger(may think its the only way out of the corner),
    Also: What can Villain feasibly bet with here on the river, that we beat?
    Only the combos of sets? We are blocking top pair (even though they probably wont bet top pair on the river, given the action).
  • CactusCardsCactusCards ArizonaRed Chipper Posts: 140 ✭✭
    Betting is fine here.

With about a half pot sized bet behind you really can’t turn this into a bluff and rep the diamonds. Realistically you’re worried about 3 combos AQdd, AJdd, and maybe ATdd if V is a straightforward player like you said and willing to call a 3! UTG.

What did you range him on? I’m imagining he’s going to show up with AJ, AQ, you block AK, but still 4 combos out there.

Are you folding to a bet from V if you check here?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file