Shorthanded game with friends.

MrBalzterMrBalzter ✭✭Red Chipper Posts: 45 ✭✭
I'm going on a camping trip with four friends and we plan to play poker for a significant part of it. One of my friends plays in a weekly home game but when I talk with him he has no idea about even basic aspects such as position. The other 3 know the outline of the game and that is about it.

My question is how best to play vs this group? I've only ever played online and have about 500k hands experience.

Also what format of a game should we play? They are leaning to a Single Table tournament style but I'm much more comfortable in 100bb cash games.

Thanks
Tagged:

Comments

• CactusCardsCactusCards ✭✭ ArizonaRed Chipper Posts: 140 ✭✭
    5 of you playing some camping trip poker? Typically when I play beer league with friends we do $20 tourneys with unlimited rebuys for the first hour or two. Light and fun.
  • persuadeopersuadeo ✭✭✭✭✭ Red Chipper, Table Captain Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • TheGameKatTheGameKat - Posts: 2,480 -
    Yes quite. Given your skill edge I'd suggest playing whatever they prefer and don't destroy them the first night.
    Moderation In Moderation
  • MrBalzterMrBalzter ✭✭ Red Chipper Posts: 45 ✭✭
    5 of you playing some camping trip poker? Typically when I play beer league with friends we do $20 tourneys with unlimited rebuys for the first hour or two. Light and fun.

When you say unlimited re buys what do you mean exactly? If you get knocked out you just buy back in?

Do you do like 1st place takes half the money and 2nd and 3rd take a portion?
  • MrFussMrFuss ✭✭ Red Chipper Posts: 125 ✭✭
    edited July 6
    MrBalzter wrote: »
    When you say unlimited re buys what do you mean exactly? If you get knocked out you just buy back in?
    Yes for a pre-determined amount of blind levels you can rebuy another starting stack anytime you're </= the starting amount. We used simple poker tournament software to keep track of blind structure and times. Im sure there are mobile versions available
    MrBalzter wrote: »
    Do you do like 1st place takes half the money and 2nd and 3rd take a portion?
    When we played single table home tournaments, 1st place would get 50%, 2nd place 30%, 3rd place 20%.

With that said I would recommend playing a cash game with only 5 players on a camping trip. Theres no structure to worry about and you can play for as long or as short as you want. And for the inexperienced players its much more of a "direct" action vs consequence game. Additionally if you play a tournament, when someone gets knocked out they will be stuck on the rail watching the others play. Although you could always make them the dealer as "punishment" ;)
  • MrBalzterMrBalzter ✭✭ Red Chipper Posts: 45 ✭✭
    Thanks @MrFuss I appreciate it.
  • Jordan PowerJordan Power ✭✭✭ Red Chipper Posts: 495 ✭✭✭
    I was just on vacation in a similar situation and we played 1c 2c cash first night and then $5 buy in tournaments after (unlimited rebuys for first hour and then a final rebuy outside that.)

(I got crushed outside the cash game and received an epic slowroll by my very own father. Good times.)
  • Paul_KPaul_K ✭✭✭ DFWRed Chipper Posts: 330 ✭✭✭
    Camping and poker?

Paging @tfazio ...
  • Paul_KPaul_K ✭✭✭ DFWRed Chipper Posts: 330 ✭✭✭
    received an epic slowroll by my very own father.

This is a perfect example of balance.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file