MP - Folds
Pot = $181

Flop -
Ah, Js, 6d

Hero (BB) Checks to raiser
Button - raise to $200
Hero (BB) - Thinks a few seconds and folds
Button shows - J10 off suit

Did I make a good fold considering his re-raise and a more than pot sized bet after the Ace flops?

Comments

• TheGameKatTheGameKat - Posts: 2,480 -
    Some info on the opponents, particularly the button, would be helpful.

Is the straddle a mandatory $10, or did the button choose both to post and to make it this large? It creates a fairly odd spot where you're playing ~30bb effective, so I think the first question you want to ask is how does KJs play at that depth. Further, when you make the initial raise to $30 I think you can be fairly confident that a voluntary straddler is going to call or raise. So how is that going to pan out? Have the plan ahead of time. And once you call the button's 3-bet, you know you're going to be OOP, probably to 2 players. Is a 4-bet jam better?

Concerning your observation that V made a more than pot sized bet, that probably doesn't contain much info here given that the SPR ~ 1. So whether or not you made a good fold is really just a math problem once you've assigned the button a range.
    Moderation In Moderation
  • LaRanaLaRana ✭✭ Red Chipper Posts: 9 ✭✭
    Straddle is always voluntary.

A little more observation on the button -
    Button villain posts a $10 button straddle every round. After anyone raised he either calls or comes over the top with a re-re-raise. Button never folds his straddle..

If limped to villain, villain raises to $20 with any face card, pair or connector suited or unsuited

I assigned him a range after his raise on the button is 65% of hands. KJs in my top 10%.

When button went over the top i figured him for Ax without AK or AJ or any pair without KK, JJ After the flop I figured him for an Ace for sure,

My line was based on no ACE flopping and then pushing.
  • Jordan PowerJordan Power ✭✭✭ Red Chipper Posts: 495 ✭✭✭
    When a straddle is on, I typically tighten up my EP range even more. Effective stacks are also being severely diminished by a 5x straddle so I would be looking for better starting hands here, personally, especially in a low limit game where AK and KQ are not going to be auto 3 bets for a decent chunk of the player pool.

I think we get ourselves in a spot here even when we flop top pair, we aren't going to be loving life when someone wants to get the stacks in as we may often be dominated. Just my two cents. Interested to hear what others think.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file