1/3 encore hero spew?

March422March422 Red Chipper Posts: 22 ✭✭
Game is opening up after turning over half the seats in the last hr. Raised pots going 3 to 5 way fairly consistently since the influx of new players. BB just sat down but i have played with him before, hes a huge station plays way too many hands pf calls down with bottom pair trying to spike 2 pr etc. When he does hit he comes out with a big bet usually transparent. Overall just a total gambler.
Game is 9 handed
Mp1 limps ($500) very loose vpip %60 riase like 10% limping and calling prob 90%
Hero in LJ ($325) raise $15 :As:9s
Button ($450) calls younger player assumed TAG newer to table hasnt played much but has raised when entering pot pf. Took down a couple pots with out show down. seems like ok player
Sb( $250 )calls
BB ($250) calls
Limper calls
FLOP ($75): :Qs:Ks:3d
Sb check BB $45 mp1 fold Hero $110

This is where i was really conflicted.
Since there was no 3b i eliminated QQ or KK from everyones range so my main concerns here are 33 and KQ as far as btn and SB goes. These villains may find a fold with K3s or Q3s if in their range, but not BB.

So i really put BB on 2pr which he probably wont fold. Even if he does have the weaker K3/Q3 suited. At the same time this is supposed to be my board i have set of queens and set of kings in my range and he doesn't. (But the problem is v doesn't know this or care)

Passively playing my draw here could also lead to having to fold to a shove on the turn and not realize my equity in a spot where i am in a multi way inflated pot where we want a nut draw right? By just calling here i am saying you have me beat and you can blow me off this hand on the turn. By raising i can still have him beat but i also dont think he will fold to my semi bluff.

Anyways the Button wakes up and shoves, the bb snap calls and now im obv putting it in and praying for a spade. Did i actually get bailed out getting it in 3 ways here? How is my thought process on the flop?

Comments

• TheGameKatTheGameKat Posts: 2,716 -
    I think you answer your own question.

"By raising i can still have him beat but i also dont think he will fold to my semi bluff."

In that case, it's not a semi-bluff.
    Moderation In Moderation
  • eugeniusjreugeniusjr Red Chipper Posts: 427 ✭✭✭
    Flush draws dont play well with an SPR of 3-4...
  • March422March422 Red Chipper Posts: 22 ✭✭
    How can i control spr? Should I anticipate a multi way flop and raise Ax suited suited connectors to 12 instead of 15 and size up to $18 or $20 with hands that do well in low spr? Assuming noone will pick up on this which in this game probably not everyone just wants to see a flop. I dont expect villains to 3b me or exploit my pfr sizing and i don't really expect my raise size to effect their calling ranges much if at all.
  • talonjohntalonjohn Red Chipper Posts: 112 ✭✭
    Your thought process is good, you should be playing higher than 1/3 =)

But doesn't playing higher stakes depend more on bankroll stuff?

March422 wrote: »
    How can i control spr?

I should ask you, how can you control SPR? Or more precisely, how do your actions affect the SPR?

You can influence SPR by your opening size. Limping behind creates the highest SPR. Raising to an amount that will preclude 4 players from calling is another way to manage the SPR, and increase your odds to win the pot. You could limp, and fold to a raise, refusing to play a pot with a poor SPR. You could raise to 2x the bb.. You choose the situations you accept.
    Ok obviously limping creates the lowest spr but why would we be limping here or ever really. Are you advocating a limp? Limp folding to a raise in my opinion is awful. I know you are trying to get me to answer my own question but what would you be doing here pre ?

I think I am happy with the preflop play but clearly i reacted poorly post flop mostly bc i am tilted.

If i think about it if im raising this im riasing any NFD which is going to be too wide vs this villains range in this specific spot. My semi bluffs should be limited to TJs ATs and AJs, raising sets for value and just call my NFD, AK, AA, AT- AQ w/As and my 3 OESD.

If i had 4 limpers in front of me my raise would probably be more like $23 but its hard to predict that 3 of the 5 players behind are going to come along
    Thanks to everyone for responding. Really helping me think through the hand.
    eugeniusjr wrote: »
    March422 wrote: »
    How can i control spr?

I should ask you, how can you control SPR? Or more precisely, how do your actions affect the SPR?

You can influence SPR by your opening size. Limping behind creates the highest SPR. Raising to an amount that will preclude 4 players from calling is another way to manage the SPR, and increase your odds to win the pot. You could limp, and fold to a raise, refusing to play a pot with a poor SPR. You could raise to 2x the bb.. You choose the situations you accept.

This has made me think alot about my raise size and what is doing to spr. I know theres a good chance of 3 to 5 way pot and i don't want a big pot yet with this hand. Should i really be worried about splitting my range if i know im doing it? Who at this level is really going to notice or be able to exploit it? If they do start to adjust then its up to me to readjust. I am going to experiment a bit with different sizes and see how everyone reacts. Thanks again very helpful

FYI, in lower stakes games where pots can get very bloated, I think it's useful to buy in for 150bb+ so you can manage SPR better more often.

I would but 100 bb cap

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file