Can you play with no chips in front of you?

PsydwinderPsydwinder Red Chipper Posts: 20 ✭✭
So I played a live game not long ago. And I did not like this situation so I wanted to find out if it is okay or not.

Girl busts out. Re-buys for another 100bb. Does not yet have a chip stack but the dealer allows her to play.

I remember her saying “okay I call his raise, but 200 minus 40 equals 160, so I guess I have 160 right?”

Idk she even went all in without chips at the table and the dealer was keeping track of her stack I guess. But I am trying to keep track of the pot, the bets, what have you. Then I folded top pair because I was sitting there for a while trying to figure out what happened as people were arguing what the pot was because there were imaginary chips in there.

Is it okay to play without any chips and deduct from your stack based on memory or is it a solid rule that someone has to have physical chips in order to play?

Best Answers

• Doug HullDoug Hull RCP Coach Posts: 1,793 -
    Accepted Answer
    They will usually deal you in. It is confusing, I don't like doing this, but it is an expedient.
    Co-founder Red Chip Poker,
    Author Poker Plays You Can Use
    Author Poker Workbook for Math Geeks

Answers

• PsydwinderPsydwinder Red Chipper Posts: 20 ✭✭
    Okay. That was the first time I had ever seen that but next time I will take my time and keep track of that player’s stack.
  • RoblivionRoblivion WisconsinRed Chipper Posts: 301 ✭✭✭
    Hopefully, she at least had money or lamers in front of her to indicate how much total was in play. Usually, the dealer will keep part of the pot in front of the player with no chips, indicating that is how much they owe to the pot - that makes it a lot easier to keep track of things.
  • NTD12NTD12 Red Chipper Posts: 76 ✭✭
    edited July 26
    I've seen this several times with chip runners. Often, and I have done it myself, a player that has folded preflop will slide a stack of chips in front of the player without if they are playing the hand and then just get them replaced by the runner when they arrive. Makes things easier to keep track of.
  • William340William340 Red Chipper Posts: 2 ✭✭
    where I play (Delaware Park) they use chip runners and you can't buy from dealer. so when most players bust, they get out money, and the dealer hits the button for runner & says "seat 3 has $200 behind".
    sometimes a deep stacked player will sell the player chips, then they have $200 more behind and the chip runner gets chips for them
    obviously, no rat holing.
    so - what NTD12 said, lol.

the dealer will keep track of what they owe the pot if they are playing w/o chips.

it's a pretty common occurence.

me, I keep my rebuy money in green ($25) chips in my pocket to either top off when I am under 100bb or to re-buy when I get stacked.
  • TheGameKatTheGameKat Posts: 2,716 -
    William340 wrote: »

me, I keep my rebuy money in green ($25) chips in my pocket to either top off when I am under 100bb or to re-buy when I get stacked.

Yup, as players we can mitigate the problem with this simple expedient. Plus when you take a horrible beat without flinching and slide green chips on the table it looks cool.
    Moderation In Moderation
  • PsydwinderPsydwinder Red Chipper Posts: 20 ✭✭
    The lamers sound like a pretty good method of controlling this situation. All depends on the house from what it sounds like. Thanks for the responses, another check in the box for strange poker situations

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file