Do pocket 10s vs 3betting ranges justify my fold here?

sundriedsundried Red Chipper Posts: 6 ✭✭
I'm playing 1/3 live. I'm UTG with :Th:Tc . I open to 15, UTG+1 3bets to 40, UTG+2 calls, it folds around to me and I make the call.

Flop: :9s:Js:2h , Pot: $124

I check, UTG+1 cbets $60, UTG+2 folds and I make the fold.

However, UTG+1 did not look very comfortable. In the previous hand someone had floated him and when an ace came on the turn he also looked very uncomfortable. In that case an ace would have beaten UTG+1. This has lead me to post here. I would often call but due to the discomfort I would specifically place him on AK or AQs with no spades. However since chip leaking is a huge weakness of mine I decided to make the fold. Furthermore I've noticed that most players on 1/3 only 3bet QQ+AK and sometimes JJ/TT/AQ. With that additional info I found folding much easier. Was it justified?
Tagged:

Comments

• RedRed Red Chipper Posts: 2,160 ✭✭✭✭
    If you've no reason to think V doesn't spazz out when 3betting (esp. from UTG+1!) and/or you're not at least 250bb deep , then it should be an easy preflop fold.
  • RCP Coach - Fausto ValdezRCP Coach - Fausto Valdez RCP Coach Posts: 859 ✭✭✭✭
    @sundried ... Assuming your deep, even against the first range you will have to defend given the majority of his assumed range lands with air on the flop, you will have to defend or your simply over folding. What would give you a clear path is on the turn given how much equity you pick up and the assumption that AK doesn't always double barrels enough.

With the second range you def have to defend here. Given stack sizes you may have to shove if short or simply defend if deeper just as a general guidance.
    COACHING NOW AVAILABLE HERE
    MY COACHING REVIEWS HERE
  • Cracked_Jacks11Cracked_Jacks11 Red Chipper Posts: 47 ✭✭
    I think this spot depends a lot on information we don't have. Is villain an old guy who rarely 3-bets and plays pretty ABC and will shut down on the turn with his AK and AQ hands? Or is it someone who could be 3 betting wider? Is he likely to keep barreling?

Also, how deep is the effective stack? Depending on the villain, do you think you're often ahead here, or are you specifically calling pre-flop to set-mine?
  • needaglassofmilkneedaglassofmilk Red Chipper Posts: 67 ✭✭
    It's been said here by a couple, but just to reiterate with maybe a more simple perspective.

If you are going to call the 3b pre, then you have to call the c-bet on most flops (w/TT specifically) there are some hands you can call/fold, but a made hand as strong as TT has to at least see the turn when facing a 'standard' cbet.

Often after calling a 3b and floating you will get to the river for cheap getting to realize your equity a profitable amount of the time. And in other scenarios (as Fausto mentioned) you will pick up some equity giving you other potential opportunities to win the pot.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file