Winning Players - Help me get a sense of variance!

SenhouseSenhouse Red Chipper Posts: 15 ✭✭
I’m not new to poker having played tons of limit hold’em but I’m new to NLHE. I’ve been playing 1-3, and am 50 hours in. Finally had my first real bad session. Lost with AK vs AA on AKx board, set of 5s to a turned gutshot, etc.

My request: if you are a proven winner, show me the results from your last 10-20 sessions.

Mine are: -90, 130, 38, 432, 58, 53, 60, 568, and the rough one -610. Sessions all between 4 and 7 hours.

I’d love to have a better idea of what to expect.

Thanks!
Chris

Comments

• TheGameKatTheGameKat Posts: 2,281 -
    Most proven winners win 2 of 3 sessions unless they are manufacturing wins by locking them in once ahead.
    Moderation In Moderation
  • EazzyEazzy Red Chipper Posts: 964 ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 10
    not sure how helpfull this will be...

Its mixed between 1-2 and 1-3 most session are about 4 hours ..most are played late afternoon or early evening....in Atlantic City....

-413 (yesterday ...and one bad beat in a 900 pot, but then again I have given a few too)
    +15
    +119
    +226
    +289
    +90
    +135
    +279
    +602 (includes a $100 rake back earned previous month)
    +643
    +129
    +21
    +213

• SenhouseSenhouse Red Chipper Posts: 15 ✭✭
    Thanks Eazzy! That was great. Anyone else?
  • ChibberChibber Red Chipper Posts: 376 ✭✭✭
    What do you hope to gain from such a small snapshot? If I were to post 20 winning sessions in a row or 20 losing sessions in a row, what would that say? 50 hours of table time is a week for some grinders and a year for others.

Instead of lamenting about recent results focus on improving how you play the game.
    If you really want to know what to expect, Ed has some insight:

“If you let it, no-limit hold ’em will torture you in nearly every way imaginable. Eventually you’ll hit a stretch, weeks maybe, where you’ll lose every single all-in pot, whether you get it in good or bad. You’ll run the biggest bluff of your life and some guy will snap-call with king high – and win – and you’ll sit stupefied wondering how he could make that call. Then he’ll say he misread his hand and thought he had a straight.” (The Course, p.211.)

See also: https://redchippoker.com/poker-downswings-the-final-mental-game-frontier/
    Moderation In Moderation
  • RedRed Red Chipper Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭✭
    Senhouse wrote: »
    Mine are: -90, 130, 38, 432, 58, 53, 60, 568, and the rough one -610. Sessions all between 4 and 7 hours.
    Losing 610 at 1/3$ or 2 buy-ins is totally normal and expected, esp. if it occurs in possible cooler situation.
    Not rough, not abnormal. Buckle up for up to several buy-ins lost per session if you play poker.

Also comparing winerates from different rooms doesn't mean much. You can crush a tight room yet winning little. Or be a bad player in a wild spazzy room, yet winning huge. But if you only compare the winning/losses, the 2nd ones seems better.
    Not sure why my post could be read as lamenting anything. Given the big hands that were totally reasonable, of course that worst loss day wasn’t outrageous. I am just curious how big and erratic the swings will be.

I’m a teacher (and don’t have children of my own) so I expect to be playing a lot every summer and long holiday weekends. I do want my mental game to be strong which is why I was looking for how often to expect big down days and such.

Thanks for the link, Kat. I’ll go check it out now.
    Welcome
    Moderation In Moderation
  • U_TurnU_Turn Las VegasRed Chipper Posts: 41 ✭✭
    I started CORE and keeping records mid-December 2018:

qixivxvq5qpd.png
    mm3sepkc3gob.png
    That’s awesome U Turn! Thanks!
  • Gameaholic21Gameaholic21 New JerseyRed Chipper Posts: 13 ✭✭
    @U_Turn What tracking app is that? Do you like it/recommend it?

I've been using Poker Analytics 5, which I like, Just trying to explore what else is out there
  • U_TurnU_Turn Las VegasRed Chipper Posts: 41 ✭✭
    @U_Turn What tracking app is that? Do you like it/recommend it?

I've been using Poker Analytics 5, which I like, Just trying to explore what else is out there
    It’s called Pokerbase. I like it and I would recommend it. It’s free and it seems to have all the major features of some of the paid apps.

It has some cool extra tools built in:
    mw86h00edjtz.png

• jeffncjeffnc Red Chipper Posts: 4,716 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 17
    Here is my online SNG graph from back in the day. If you're looking for a sense of variance, the last 10-20 sessions are nothing. You could take any 500 game stretch in there and conclude anything you wanted to conclude.

raoa3f27rmb5.jpg
    The graph in my downswings article is from my sessions but left-right reflected, since if my results were as shown I'd be living under a bridge.
    Moderation In Moderation
  • persuadeopersuadeo Red Chipper, Table Captain Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭✭✭
    TheGameKat wrote: »
    The graph in my downswings article is from my sessions but left-right reflected, since if my results were as shown I'd be living under a bridge.

You don't live under a bridge?
    persuadeo wrote: »
    TheGameKat wrote: »

You don't live under a bridge?

I vacation under a bridge, I live in a condo.
    Moderation In Moderation

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file