poker offline simulation

Hotwheels82Hotwheels82 Red Chipper Posts: 2 ✭✭
I have played poker recreationally for many years. . I am now trying to get more serious learning math concepts and trying to work on a more technical game

I was wondering is there any good use in playing/practicing poker on a video game such as World Series of Poker: Tournament of Champions,

I am thinking about this instead of going to the free play money room, because the people in those rooms play like it’s free money with nothing to lose.

Comments

• JPFJPF Hudson Valley, NYRed Chipper Posts: 855 ✭✭✭
    edited August 13
    IMO - there's never a time to play poker without real money on the line. There's no way to simulate that. If there's no money on the line, it's not real poker and it doesn't apply.
  • NinjahNinjah Red Chipper Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭✭
    Poker Snowie. It plays tough (and very tight) and will inform you of errors in your play.
  • TheGameKatTheGameKat Posts: 2,281 -
    Advanced Poker Training is another option that simulates low-limit live play pretty well. It has limited utility in the sense that after a while you learn how to beat the bots, but that in itself is IMO a useful exercise.
    Moderation In Moderation
  • EazzyEazzy Red Chipper Posts: 964 ✭✭✭✭
    Its useful to cement basic concepts into you auto part of your brain...

Dr Gardner...work on poker psychology...talks about having (I'm using non scientific terms because I dont remember the terms she uses) part of the brain the autopiolet part ..and part thats you have to use to work out or think with.....

The part you have to use to think with gets tiered easily and can't really hanld more the 3 things at one time...(somthing like that...) so if you constantly thinking what position am I in, what hands should I play here,...how big should I bet given these stacks...type things...it will tier you out....

The more of these things at the table you can move to autopilot part of your brain the more you can keep concentration up, and work on the other parts of your game....

So poker simulation will allow you to put parts of this into autopilot...THis may include simple thine what position am I in, or what hans to play here against ..and this type of opponent...to more complicated things...like what is the SPR...and how does this type of draw stackup against this type of players range.... or what ever...
  • SplitSuitSplitSuit RCP Coach Posts: 4,030 -
    Be sure to get clear with your goals for playing play money (be it against a trainer, at a play money table vs. real people, etc.).
    • If you are looking to get in extra volume, what is your plan for that volume?
    • If you want more hands to study, could you use the forum instead?
    • If you want to work on strategic concepts, is play money the best way to do that? Or would something like CORE be a better use of your time?
    • Do you just want to make poker decision in a stressless environment? if yes, how does that help you play for real money?

No need to answer that here - just starting points for your own usage.

We have limited hours available to us - so if we are going to spend time on anything, we should know why we are spending the time and what we hope to gain from it. And that's before comparing it to other options available and trying to optimize our time decisions =P

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file