What is the poker etiquette?

JayLeeJayLee Red Chipper Posts: 4 ✭✭
This happened a couple weeks ago at 1/3 live game at MGM national harbor. The villain,UTG, raises big to $30. It folds around to the hero in mp with a pocket 8s. I make the call and it folds around to the original raiser. Thinking everybody folded, the villain turns over pocket AAs. At this point, I am not sure what the ruling should be, but the dealer asked us to just continue to play our hands. To the flop with rainbow board. The villain checks and the hero checks too. The turn brings another 8 to give the hero a set 8s. the villain checks again and what do you do here? I am not sure what is villain's intention here. Does he want to check through the river? Should I bet here or does that make me shady?

Comments

• LoveFishLoveFish IllinoisRed Chipper Posts: 93 ✭✭
    Punish him. Bet the turn.
  • TheGameKatTheGameKat Posts: 2,280 -
    Betting is certainly not shady, although I don't really think it qualifies as punishing anybody.
    Moderation In Moderation
  • RedRed Red Chipper Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭✭
    If it's a nice guy which happily play and spew money, I'll just check it down or bet little.
    We don't want an spewy player being unhappy and shutting down, we want him happy and pushing chips in the middle.

But if Villain isn't a spewy player, then I'll bet. This can also lead to bluff opportunities: "Why does Hero bets/raises when he knows I've AA?!?"
  • Jordan PowerJordan Power Red Chipper Posts: 457 ✭✭✭
    It’s not shady to bet. But I agree with Red. If this player thought everyone folded and is just trying to have fun by showing off his AA, yeah maybe bet small with some banter and keep it light.

However I don’t think this is the case. A 10x open with AA screams to me “I’d rather win a small pot than lose a big one! Can’t price in the ace cracking hands!”

So I would still bet small but lose the banter :)
    The only other issue I'd factor in was if for some reason I was holding my cards funny and had inadvertently obscured his view. Cocktail servers and ex-wives have been known to appear at inopportune times, leading to such events.
    Moderation In Moderation
  • ChibberChibber Red Chipper Posts: 376 ✭✭✭
    Just check the hand down and move on. The guy mistakenly opened his hand believing the hand was over.
    I know this was not the initial question, but it just occurred to me: an EP 10x open was flatted by 88. What are the stack depths here? Can we profitably mine here since we will have to make our set to stick around? Effective stacks would have to be fairly deep here, right?
    I know this was not the initial question, but it just occurred to me: an EP 10x open was flatted by 88. What are the stack depths here? Can we profitably mine here since we will have to make our set to stick around? Effective stacks would have to be fairly deep here, right?

Good point, we'd definitely like to be deep. That said, against the right opponent I don't mind flatting these huge raises when the usual rules of thumb say not to, since some of these big raisers just can't let go of an overpair.

Moderation In Moderation
  • Steve MSteve M Red Chipper Posts: 40 ✭✭
    edited August 15
    Bet and show one 8 ;)
  • Rich57Rich57 Red Chipper Posts: 107 ✭✭
    If he is a non-spewy player, I check and bet pot on a non-A river. If he is a terrible player, bet small and yuk it up with him. In either case show your set at the end to avoid hard feelings.
  • JayLeeJayLee Red Chipper Posts: 4 ✭✭
    Thank you for your comments. Here is what happened...

Effective stack size was about $350 and the villain covers me. After hitting my set on the turn, the villain checks to me and I bet $30. The villain tanks a bit and re-raised me to $100. I make the call. The river is another blank and the villain checks to me again. I shove and the villain tanks and finally makes the call. The villain was a good sport about it and said he would have been stacked anyway. I was happy about the double up, but felt sorry for him.
    Don’t feel sorry for him. He decided to light money on fire with the raise.
  • jeffncjeffnc Red Chipper Posts: 4,716 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A hand I witnessed in a tournament. Player 1 raises in EP, Player 2 calls in LP, everyone else folds. Player 1 thought everyone folded, and tables JJ. Everyone reminds him there's another player with cards. It goes check/check, then on the turn Player 2 bets big. Player 1 folds and Player 2 shows JJ.
  • jeffncjeffnc Red Chipper Posts: 4,716 ✭✭✭✭✭

If we assume 100BBs and villain always stacks off, it's very borderline. But why do you assume we are mining and we have to make a set?
  • AceFromSpaceKKAceFromSpaceKK Red Chipper Posts: 293 ✭✭✭
    jeffnc wrote: »
    A hand I witnessed in a tournament. Player 1 raises in EP, Player 2 calls in LP, everyone else folds. Player 1 thought everyone folded, and tables JJ. Everyone reminds him there's another player with cards. It goes check/check, then on the turn Player 2 bets big. Player 1 folds and Player 2 shows JJ.

This one made me laugh

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file