Math help

ulysses27ulysses27 Red Chipper Posts: 20 ✭✭
Hi I'm going through Core and even though I generally get the concepts it still feels fuzzy. For example, fold equity makes sense but it seems so player and hand dependent how is it effective at the table? Also, is there any resource (like a worksheet) where I could practice over and over again till I got it? Math is not second nature to me so it makes learning it challenging.

Comments

• PapaGiorgioPapaGiorgio Red Chipper Posts: 80 ✭✭
    ulysses27 wrote: »
    For example, fold equity makes sense but it seems so player and hand dependent how is it effective at the table?
    You will (or have) be introduced to estimating ranges. Range analysis is used to estimate fold equity of the opponent. For example, based on the assigned range for your opponent, what portion of it will he/she fold to a bet/raise, and what percentage of the total range is this portion? This gives you an estimate of how frequently the opponent will fold, which you then can use to help size your bets and to determine if a bet/raise is profitable.
    Also, is there any resource (like a worksheet) where I could practice over and over again till I got it?
    I use flopzilla to estimate ranges. This gives me a continuance range (1-continuance percentage=fold percentage). Flopfalcon might also do this, but another will have to chime in.

• KottonCandyKottonCandy Hudson Valley, NYRed Chipper Posts: 870 ✭✭✭
    edited August 15
    Flopzilla, GTO+, Power Equilab. That's all anybody really needs at the beginning (and it's more than most will). That's as far as software goes. When it comes to math, I'm working on it heavily now myself and can always use a point in a better direction.
  • ulysses27ulysses27 Red Chipper Posts: 20 ✭✭
    I have flopzilla and equilab. Still working on getting better at using both. My HUD has a equity calculator too. I've done a little range analysis but I'm guessing core will get deeper into that. I think what I'm looking for is a way to drill these formulas and concepts so I have them but also make sure my math is correct.
  • KottonCandyKottonCandy Hudson Valley, NYRed Chipper Posts: 870 ✭✭✭
    edited August 15
    ulysses27 wrote: »
    I have flopzilla and equilab. Still working on getting better at using both. My HUD has a equity calculator too. I've done a little range analysis but I'm guessing core will get deeper into that. I think what I'm looking for is a way to drill these formulas and concepts so I have them but also make sure my math is correct.

You need to be deliberate with your work. Sit down with a cup of coffee or whatever, open equilab and put in your ranges for all 6 positions (or 9/10 if you're playing full ring). Save them all and then start to see how individual hands compare to your ranges. Then see how they compare on different flops. Then start putting in ranges you feel different villains are playing in different spots. Compare those ranges to your ranges on different boards/textures. Look at %'s for what the range hits - sets, straights, how many flush draws, etc. Adjust your ranges and strategy accordingly and then play a long session. Review your hands afterwards.

When doing range v range analysis, look for spots where you have a nut range advantage. Look for hands villain will have that he won't fold, but you are ahead of. Value bet accordingly in these spots at the tables. Put pressure when you have a range advantage and target villain's ranges with hands of yours that beat them and can extract value. Play in position vs weak players and apply this strategy.
  • EazzyEazzy Red Chipper Posts: 970 ✭✭✭✭
    For me the intuitive way of thinking of it worked the best.....draw it out simply....

If you bluff the bluff has to work so much.....

pot is 3 think of 111 you bet 2/3 pot thats 111 + 11 so the bluff has to work 2 out of 5 times that 40 %

If you bet 1/2 pot that 11 you bet 1 so it 1 out of 3 or 33%....(you need him to fold 33% of the time) play with that..use other numbers by simply pouting sticks out and seeing it on paper..

Then think of the equity you have if called.... lets say you have AK you 3 bet..miss the flop check and then villain bets you shove all in..and estimate if you called you have 25% equity...

so if the pot is 1 and you shoved say 2 into it as a bluff and when called you have 20% equity...

the final pot would be 1 (pot) + 2(your bet) + 2 (his call) = 5

but you win 20% of the time so you will get 1 back (5 *.2)

so now think of that as a rebate...so istead of shoving 11 into 1 (2 into 1) your now shoving 1 into 1 you need him to fold 50% of the time....(its not quite right but it close enough and gave me a much better feel then plugging to calculator or formula)

play with diferent numbers....drawing them out I think will give you a better feel for it.
  • TheGameKatTheGameKat Posts: 2,402 -
    A lot of the spreadsheets offered here and SplitSuit's site may be of use:

https://redchippoker.com/best-poker-analysis-software-2016/#software-spreadsheet
    Moderation In Moderation
  • ulysses27ulysses27 Red Chipper Posts: 20 ✭✭
    TheGameKat wrote: »
    A lot of the spreadsheets offered here and SplitSuit's site may be of use:

https://redchippoker.com/best-poker-analysis-software-2016/#software-spreadsheet

These are great. Thanks so much.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file