Learning How to Play More Effectively (and Profitably) from SB

Paul SALTERPaul SALTER Red Chipper Posts: 31 ✭✭
Hey RCers!

The past 40ish hours of play at $1/3 live I've noticed a trend: I am anxious and uncertain when playing medium - strong holdings from the SB, e.g., medium SCs, Ax suited, two face cards, when at a table with aggressive villains. Last night, in particular, I had a few $2/5 regs at my table who were uber aggressive and found myself very timid in the SB.

I'm seeking recommendations for resources to review - outside of CORE - to help me further improve my knowledge base playing from the SB. Any insight, recommended exercises, or recommendations are greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
PJS

Comments

• persuadeopersuadeo Red Chipper, Table Captain Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Start by explaining here what the advantages/disadvantages of this position are, and from there, try to work out the incentives of this spot.
  • TheGameKatTheGameKat Posts: 2,402 -
    Our June live coaching from Gano was on "Playing From The Blinds." That's the most recent info I'm aware of on the topic.

Here's an oldish video from SplitSuit:

Moderation In Moderation
  • MrickMrick Red Chipper Posts: 8 ✭✭
  • Paul SALTERPaul SALTER Red Chipper Posts: 31 ✭✭
    persuadeo wrote: »
    Start by explaining here what the advantages/disadvantages of this position are, and from there, try to work out the incentives of this spot.

Thank you for the great starting point recommendation.

I took the time to review the pros/cons of this position, as well as to play around in PokerCruncher to put together ranges for:

1. completion to multiple limpers
    2. completion to PFR
    3. range I'd open-raise limper(s)
    4. range I'd 3-Bet

This was a very helpful exercise. I then reviewed a RCP and Splitsuit resources to refine my ranges based on reviewing more math and insight from these resources.

A few key takeaways - in case anyone else reads this and is struggling from this spot:

1. Know ahead of time what my raise will accomplish - will it truly get me heads up more often than not, or, lead to a bloated MWP with a small SPR?
    2. Understand how I may respond to multiple flop textures - c/c, c/r, c/f, Cbet, etc.
    3. Pay careful attention to bet sizing if I do Cbet
    4. Understand how often I need V to fold based on my open raise bet sizing
    5. Be intentional in my open raise bet sizing.
    TheGameKat wrote: »
    Our June live coaching from Gano was on "Playing From The Blinds." That's the most recent info I'm aware of on the topic.

Here's an oldish video from SplitSuit:

Thank you for sharing!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file