Bad Play (Hero) gone right....

obliviusoblivius San FranciscoRed Chipper Posts: 92 ✭✭
Winning Poker Network (Yatahay) - $0.05 NL (6 max) - Holdem - 5 players

Hero (BTN): 102.6 BB
BB: 150.6 BB (VPIP: 23.75, PFR: 20.00, 3Bet Preflop: 8.00, Hands: 82)

Pre Flop: (pot: 1.4 BB) Hero has :Ah :3h

fold, fold, Hero raises to 2 BB, fold, BB calls 1 BB

Flop: (4.4 BB, 2 players) :Ks :2h :Qc
BB checks, Hero bets 2.2 BB, BB raises to 11 BB, Hero calls 8.8 BB

Not many hands vs Villain but seems abc ish..
When V x/r so large vs my fcb it seemed quite polar and didn't make a lot of sense to me. Leveling aside I can't see raising sets or 2pair except maybe the K2s Q2s combos (4). I'd love to hear others' opinions..
versus draws I have some SDV but most likely just a -EV call.

Turn: (26.4 BB, 2 players) :9h
BB bets 26.4 BB, Hero calls 26.4 BB

So V pots the Turn, I now have NFD and just barely squeak the IO to flat should the BD flush come in. I flat when I should fold.. I'm blocking his best FD bluffs and not much else except maybe some AT which he decided to x/r flop.. pretty bleak and surely -EV... Bueller?

River: (79.2 BB, 2 players) :Jd
BB checks, Hero bets 63.2 BB and is all-in, fold

My draw missed but all Tx got there... Then Villain checks... What? I'm beat if I check and I can't see V checking a straight.. I think he checks ALL 2Pair, TP and sets. Again I don't see him x/raising sets on the flop so maybe 99 or 22.. As you see I shoved Riv with just over 3/4 pot behind and got the fold... I'm pretty sure I know what I did wrong but any observations to villain's actions would be appreciated... I wasn't surprised with the fold too much but was by the River check.. I dont' think I make it to the riv with many sets or 2p but if i'd shove them all.. I guess JTs, TT makes the most sense to call down but probably raise the turn with JT most of the time...

Hero wins 75.4 BB

Comments

• RyanH1995RyanH1995 Red Chipper Posts: 51 ✭✭
    It is good that you recognize that your call on the flop and turn are -EV. You do have sets and KQ here as well but he probably doesn't think you are shoving with those on this river. Villain doesn't have many sets here besides 22 and he may have KQo in his range. I also think players at this level would just shove with a straight as they don't think you would ever shove without a straight here and don't want you to check behind. I think the most likely holdings here for villain were 22 or KQo and on the river figured he couldn't get called by worse and didn't think you were value betting anything other than a straight.
  • richierichnzrichierichnz Red Chipper Posts: 2 ✭✭
    Hi, i've done this before too. I go all in without hesitation if i'm bluffing on a 4 card straight /flush board.
  • LeChiffreLeChiffre NetherlandsRed Chipper Posts: 517 ✭✭✭
    Poopy spot on the flop. You have excellent backdoors and some SDV but the raise is on the large side -- and since I would expect villain to keep barreling the vast majority of the time you don't really have many opportunities to get to showdown easily or take a stab like you would in standard floating situations. Just let him have it I'd say and fold the flop.

Your implied odds on the turn are indeed probably not good enough. You need to extract a full pot-sized bet on the turn to break-even if my maths are correct.
  • RedRed Red Chipper Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭✭
    I don't like the c-bet. As said by @LeChiffre , our hand has still some strength and some nice bckd ; but it's not that strong. I'd rather see a turn and how we improve - esp. on :heart , A, J, T.
    Yes we can c-bet this flop, but I'd not use Ah3h. I'd prefer hands which take now a better advantage of denying equity like 65s, T8s, 33.
    When we get raised, calling is ok only if V is able to bluff light pretty often - not only with OESD but also T9 or J9 - as AX is ahead of draws. Problem is that V could also hold many KX and some QX, and suddenly AX is bad.

On the turn, calling is spewy - but our put ourselves in an ugly spot. Even if we hit our bckd FD, we don't have the right odds to call. And 9 completes OESD JT.
    Other issue: other draws of V often have a 9 (J9, T9), which makes him ahead of AX. At this point, we are ahead of... hmm... only a naked bluff ?
    A shove could be done too if you consider the bet sizing as a tell for a bluff. But it's high variance or even only spewy - and I'd prefer a :heart FD blocking JT to pull this rare move.

Once on river, V checking is capping his range pretty hard; except if he is tricky, a shove will work often IMHO.
    But this is more a blunder of V, because a blocking bet forces you to fold or to spew more by shoving with very little FE.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file