How Would You Handle This River Bet?

Paul SALTERPaul SALTER Red Chipper Posts: 33 ✭✭
Hey all - I am seeking to learn different viewpoints in how you'd think through this situation. I'll omit my thought process initially to gather yours and then share:

9-Handed $1/3 Live at MD Live.

Hero: $436
Villain: $~375 (effective).

NOTE #1: I've played with V for ~3 hours and his estimated VPIP is 70%+ (has turned up with 46of to 104s and AKs so far in showdowns)

Villain raises from UTG1 to $12.
Hero calls with 87s.
Button calls --> 3 to the flop.

FLOP: Jh 5h 8d

Villain leads out with $20/$35
Hero calls.
Button calls.

TURN: 4c

Villain leads out with $40/$95
Hero calls.
Button folds.

NOTE #2: Villain bet instantly - as soon as the community card was placed he was throwing his bet out

RIVER: Ks (flush does not get there)

Villain leads out with $130/$175
Hero...

With the information above, what's your move and suspected range for V?

And how do you interpret A) two instantaneous bets and B) small, small, large R bet?

Comments

• TheGameKatTheGameKat Posts: 3,656 -
    What other info do you have on V? His VPIP is of secondary importance here, it's his postflop tendencies and aggression that are pertinent. To put it another way, if he's playing that many hands and you've been playing for 3 hours, you have the critical postflop info that we don't.
    Moderation In Moderation
  • RCP Coach - Fausto ValdezRCP Coach - Fausto Valdez RCP Coach Posts: 859 ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2019
    @Paul SALTER I would strongly consider raising the turn for a few reasons

- you block the nuts and sets in his range
    - Your hand even doh it has showdown it is still very vulnerable and needs denial trough aggression
    - Since villain is usually wide according to you, if its true he double barrels a lot, then u have a lot to attack in his vulnerable range by turn which will fold
    - Its also likely he is indicating he has a vulnerable hand by betting so small

So you have a lot of indicators to go and get aggressive specifically more so on the turn
    COACHING NOW AVAILABLE HERE
    MY COACHING REVIEWS HERE
  • Paul SALTERPaul SALTER Red Chipper Posts: 33 ✭✭
    @Paul SALTER I would strongly consider raising the turn for a few reasons

- you block the nuts and sets in his range
    - Your hand even doh it has showdown it is still very vulnerable and needs denial trough aggression
    - Since villain is usually wide according to you, if its true he double barrels a lot, then u have a lot to attack in his vulnerable range by turn which will fold
    - Its also likely he is indicating he has a vulnerable hand by betting so small

So you have a lot of indicators to go and get aggressive specifically more so on the turn

Thank you very much, Fausto. I needed to see a response like this to prompt me to begin thinking differently. This was helpful.
    TheGameKat wrote: »
    What other info do you have on V? His VPIP is of secondary importance here, it's his postflop tendencies and aggression that are pertinent. To put it another way, if he's playing that many hands and you've been playing for 3 hours, you have the critical postflop info that we don't.

Good point - I can do a better job of ensuring I am noting post-flop frequencies, too. For this particular V, he did not raise on any street post-flop often (if at all) but was consistently stabbing at pots.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file