How to combat this line?

obliviusoblivius San FranciscoRed Chipper Posts: 92 ✭✭
$0.05 NL (6 max) - Holdem - 5 players

SB: 100 BB (VPIP: 26.17, PFR: 20.23, 3Bet Preflop: 6.82, Hands: 732)

Hero (CO): 111.4 BB

SB posts SB 0.4 BB, BB posts BB 1 BB

Pre Flop: (pot: 1.4 BB) Hero has :7d :7h
fold, Hero raises to 2.8 BB, fold, SB calls 2.4 BB, fold

Villain just sat down, I've seen him raise then barrel off Top pairs and bluffs

Flop : (6.6 BB, 2 players) :4h :2c :8d
SB checks, Hero bets 4.8 BB, SB raises to 16.8 BB, Hero calls 12 BB

This flop is fairly dry and the x/r seemed odd to me. Seems that sets might x/call along with 2Pair... I was really trying to find a logical raising range to which I should fold flop...didn't. 56s 67s (which I block) 57s (same) A3s A5s

Turn : (40.2 BB, 2 players) :2d
SB bets 33 BB, Hero calls 33 BB
Turn seemed safe with the range i gave... if he raised sets I'm now toast but seemed unlikely

River : (106.2 BB, 2 players) :6s
SB bets 47.4 BB and is all-in, Hero calls 47.4 BB

River left about 1/2 pot behind and I called and lost... Here my question
Is this line by villain standard with an over pair? I suppose the one way to try and combat is to shove the turn? Im going to do range v range tonight and see what it looks like. Really seemed like some busted draws... I never even considered 99-TT which would likely be the only overs here. Do those always take this line?? I've seen people raise flop with similar texture and pairs such as these but never take them all the way... oops

SB shows :9c :9d (Two Pair, Nines and Twos)
(Pre 82%, Flop 90%, Turn 95%)

Hero shows 7d 7h (Two Pair, Sevens and Twos)
(Pre 18%, Flop 10%, Turn 5%)

SB wins 191 BB
3.2 BB was deducted from the pot for the jackpot.

Comments

• TheGameKatTheGameKat Posts: 2,402 -
    I sort of understand why you didn't fold the flop, but when V fires again what are you beating? I understand in a tough game there will be spots when you get in >100bb with less than top pair, but is this a tough game?
    Moderation In Moderation
  • persuadeopersuadeo Red Chipper, Table Captain Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Three important things:
    1) His calling range from the SB will ideally be very small and value-oriented. Cbetting the flop is not necessary.
    2) Your observations mean that his raises - polarization - are a bit merged and thin value heavy. First underpair probably isn't your best call off in this case, as you'll have many better overpairs and A8s to do this.
    3) Your cbet sizing is unnecessarily large and doesn't help you in any way.
  • obliviusoblivius San FranciscoRed Chipper Posts: 92 ✭✭
    edited September 5
    Thanks guys... been thinking how bad this really was on me.. Not the best call down hand at all. I did a range v range and yes, the SB flat range is quite value heavy. otf Hero is about 3/5 dog in range v hand if he flats 55-TT, KTs, QTs. give or take. If I don't shove turn w/ OP's (which I think I should) I'm a big underdog obviously.... Wasn't thinking of that at the time...Probably shoulda been a x/flop, call turn, fold riv or similar.
  • Jordan PowerJordan Power Red Chipper Posts: 479 ✭✭✭
    persuadeo wrote: »
    Three important things:
    1) His calling range from the SB will ideally be very small and value-oriented. Cbetting the flop is not necessary.

This surprises me. It seems to me our 77 could be the best hand a huge chunk of the time on this texture but also be quite vulnerable.

Is this just a texture that would benefit from us having a much lower c-bet frequency? If so, if we say we are going to reduce our c-bet percentage to say 50% (just pulling a # out of a hat), wouldn't 77 still be a good candidate to c-bet given that it is moderately vulnerable? It seems to me our overall range in the CO here has better candidates to check back, hands that can withstand some pressure from turn probes and river barrels.

I do agree the sizing is too large but would a 3BB c-bet also be ill-advised here, generally?
  • persuadeopersuadeo Red Chipper, Table Captain Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No, a small cbet seems fine. Its purpose is mainly to knock out overs so 20-40% would make sense. Basically a bet trending toward zero acknowledges that the SB's range is strong and money going in needs to be limited overall.
  • Jordan PowerJordan Power Red Chipper Posts: 479 ✭✭✭
    Ah gotcha, thanks!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file